Motorola Moto X Play

So you mean to say you didn't see what app was used to set the default action of setting a ringtone? Unfortunately the only way is to look for defaults set on all the installed apps which can be used to set a ringtone. The best practice is to use predefined folders for Ringtones and Notifications. I mean, put the ringtones in 'Ringtones' folder and put the notification ringtones in 'Notifications' folder, both of which are generated by default. By this way, you would be able to see all the ringtones.

app defaults are usually cleared from settings > apps. go to the app which is currently default for something that you want to reset.

@Nishant I keep all my ringtones/notification tones on the sd card in this structure & has worked well for me in 4 android phones before this one

‘Media’->’Audio’, ‘Videos’, ‘Images’.

Inside ‘Audio’ I have ‘Ringtones’, Notification Tones & ‘Music’.

The problem is I can only see some of the ringtones in the ‘Ringtones’ folder, initially I thought it was something to do with the type of audio file but that is not true I can see mp3, ogg & mid files. Its just that some ringtones can’t be seen when I try to set a ringtone for my contacts. Usually when one sets ringtones it asks you which app u want to use to view them that where I messed up. now the question is how do I get that option before setting a ringtone in contacts as I can make es explorer my default

Hmm ok. I assume you're already on Android 6.0, try this. Go to Settings, Apps, tap the three dots on the right and select 'Show system'. Scroll down to 'Media Storage' and tap 'Open by default' and then tap 'Clear Defaults'. See if this resolved the problem.

--
Also, try putting the ringtones and notifications in the root of the storage i.e. ringtones in Ringtones folder and notifications in Notifications folder, both of which are already generated by default. See if this resolves the problem of missing ringtones.

Last edited:
Hmm ok. I assume you're already on Android 6.0, try this. Go to Settings, Apps, tap the three dots on the right and select 'Show system'. Scroll down to 'Media Storage' and tap 'Open by default' and then tap 'Clear Defaults'. See if this resolved the problem.

--
Also, try putting the ringtones and notifications in the root of the storage i.e. ringtones in Ringtones folder and notifications in Notifications folder, both of which are already generated by default. See if this resolves the problem of missing ringtones.

Thanks a ton, yes its on android 6 (just updated it today morning, that's the only time I will get good speed on my Triband connection but that's another story) your suggestion worked I can now view ALL my ringtones thru ES Explorer as it now gives me an option for this :D Thanks once again.

Last edited:

Back