MTNL Broadband: Auto Shutdown+usage billing query

• Thread starter Thread starter thegamerulez
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,744

thegamerulez

ISP
MTNL
Hey guys,Yesterday I had started a download at around 1:15 am and i had kept the PC to auto shutdown as soon the download finishes.. When i checked it at around 3:00 am or so, the PC had switched itself off obviously meaning that the download had completed. When i went to sleep finally ( I was studying btw for those wondering what i was doing so late :P ), i switched off the mains at around 4:30.Today now that i see the logs, it shows the session time as 1:15 to 4:27 am!Now does that mean even if the PC has shutdown, my usage will be counted till i actually switch off my modem?

yes dude.... u need to switch off modem for that... it means ur on pppoe mode... u need to switch to bridge mode for use of auto-shutdown... search forum and wiki of this site for it....

thx for the reply mate..Can somebody give me the VPI/VCi settings for MTNL Mumbai.also do i need to keep change any DNS settings?I am currently using the MT 882 modem provided by them as well as Linksys WRH54G wifi router which has been setup as per the guide provided by max (in the sticky thread)ok..so i created a new connection in my router page and called it bridge and set the VPI/VCI as 0 and 32 respectively. I then applied,saved and then made a new dial up connection.Now when i try to connect i get connecting WAN- miniport PPPOE and then i get error 678.Any idea where i am gng wrong?

Bridge mode has one good advantage - Just turn off the PC and forget about the modem. :)When on PPPOE, you need to turn off the modem no matter you switch your PC on or off.

yeah thats right, but Bridge mode is not as stable as it's counterpart pppoe

i never had probs with bridge mode... what stability r u talkin about??

guys,i have set the modem to bridge mode..what about the router? should it continue to remain in bridge mode or pppoe? ( Currently its in Auto DHCP)besides should the modem be connected to the router through the lan port or the internet port? (its currently in one of the lan ports )thanks.

ok.. what about the TCP/IP settings of the lan card? do i need to change the lan card settings? its presently 192.168.1.1.and what about DHCP? should it be disabled or enabled in both..i beg your pardon for asking so many quesyion..hope you ppl dont mind..

i would say do this.. keep modem ip as 192.168.1.1 .. router ip as 192.168.1.100 ( so it would be accessible).. disable dhcp in router.. keep dhcp range from 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.20 ( more than enough for your network i suppose).. connect LAN cable from modem to LAN port of wifi router.. in your pc's tcp/ip set it to automatically get ip address.. you should be good to go..

Back