• Thread starter Thread starter zeo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,135

zeo

Trance junkie
ISP
MTNL DSL NU 849
Yesterday I downloaded some torrents starting from 12:10 AM till about 7 in the morning.

But when I checked my usage today it showed that I've downloaded around 426MB from 11:11 PM to 12:00 AM yesterday even though I was just surfing the net at that time :o.

What an utter callousness from MTNL! They can't keep the clocks on their servers synced :@.

I lost 426MB from 1.25GB limit for no fault of mine :cry:.

Did anybody faced this same issue?

yaa last yr i got a bill of 7000 & 4000 due to this problem...

didnt have this problem earlierbut in the last few months, download was very high and got a huge bill every month.....so finally shifted to 512 unlimited.but it takes time to get used to the slow speed again :(

Are you sure that there was no download?You may not have downloaded some files, but what about windows update / anti virus update / other s/w updates downloading and updating automatically? Have you checked your software update configuration?

@gan:
*I've kept my Windows updates off.
*I use ESET Smart Security which hardly ever downloads update more than 1MB in size.
*I've the minimal amount of softwares installed as it is my secondary PC.

Even if something was getting downloaded in the background without my notice, I would have able to make out since my surfing speed would have been reduced at that time which I never felt.

Also do look at the amount of upload between 23:11:00 - 00:00:00; its 32MB. That much amount of data transfer is only possible when I specifically upload something which brings us to a conclusion that it was utorrent's upload data.

P.S.: I remember that I had limited my global upload limit in utorrent to 13KB/s on that day as I was downloading a big file.

If you calculate: 32*1024/(49*60) = 12.5KB/s which is almost 13KB/s.

If you are on Router mode it will connect to internet modem start up then hackers can also use your PC so as any virus,worm,etc can use your PC for any zoombie manner. Anyways you are using Windows so it is very much possible. If you want to keep your modem ON for some reason but do not intend to use it, shift to bridge mode. This way, you use your internet only when YOU intend to.

I have been facing a similar problem for the last 2 weeks. Even though I only surf the net, my ADSL and LAN lights keep blinking at a very high frequency as if I am downloading something. So, I decided to install ZoneAlarm Firewall and ran a full scan on my computer with AVG Antivirus. The antivirus did find some trojan horses on my computer and removed them. And now its normal again.

If you are on Router mode it will connect to internet modem start up then hackers can also use your PC so as any virus,worm,etc can use your PC for any zoombie manner. Anyways you are using Windows so it is very much possible. If you want to keep your modem ON for some reason but do not intend to use it, shift to bridge mode. This way, you use your internet only when YOU intend to.

Can I use my desktop and laptop both together in bridge mode?

I was & am still on bridge mode and using a decent antivirus+firewall ESET Smart Security.

So the chances of my PC becoming a 'zombie' is quite less and moreover I reiterate that if such a huge amount of data was indeed being downloaded I could have felt it while I was browsing. But I never felt the reduction in the browsing speed.

Back