MTNL Broadband: Schedule Internet connection

• Thread starter Thread starter stonekeeper
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 10,069

stonekeeper

Hi guys
Gone throw this wonderful forum found some really interesting ideas to schedule internet connection for NU plane.
Here is one more. very easy method.
Go to Microsoft site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q311272
Download the DevCon package( 77 kb).
Extract files and find I386\DevCon.exe
This is small utility which is command line interface to windows device manager.
Now u can enable disable or reboot your Ethernet card from command prompt !
Go to command promt and browse to extracted file and then type
devcon.exe disable =Net to disconnect from internet ( Need admin rights)
then type
devcon.exe enable =Net to connect to Internet again
alternatively you can use command devcon restart =Net to restart network connection.
So done just create batch file with above command and schedule it with task scheduler

If you are facing internet disconnection at night just schedule devcon enable =Net at regular intervals so if by chance internet is disconnected you can connect it again.
:D

dammn, ur good at this auto-disconnect stuff....we know u rock! (no pun intented) :)

Hi stonekeeper, what if you have multiple NICs?What will change, will all NICs get disabled, or only one, Will it still work the same way?

In Windows, if you've configured your router to use Bridged mode, you can simply use the inbuilt 'rasdial' utility to connect and disconnect from a batch file, script, or scheduled task.Very simple, there's nothing to it, really. :P

Originally posted by mario_a@Jan 27 2006, 02:53 AM
In Windows, if you've configured your router to use Bridged mode, you can simply use the inbuilt 'rasdial' utility to connect and disconnect from a batch file, script, or scheduled task.

Very simple, there's nothing to it, really.  :P
[snapback]40595[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just like I m doing for past 6-7 months B)

Originally posted by osinghrathore@Jan 30 2006, 10:19 PM
Just like I m doing for past 6-7 months B)
[snapback]40896[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are da man, dude ! :D

Inspite of all that automation, the biggest prob faced is that if ur router is not OFF, MTNL assumes that ur still connected to the n/w.... I faced problem wit it.... Hence m bk to my old ways.... Put an alarm to get up everyday at 7:45 am, disconnect the router and go bk to sleep :DKabhi Kabhi all automation dus not wrk... Man must return to his old ways... :)

Originally posted by rastapopulus+-->QUOTE(rastapopulus)
Inspite of all that automation, the biggest prob faced is that if ur router is not OFF, MTNL assumes that ur still connected to the n/w.... I faced problem wit it[/b]
If your router is on, you are connected to the MTNL network (which means the green ADSL light on your router will be lit up), but that does not necessarily mean you are connected to the internet.

I have been using the automated method with bridged mode for more than a month now, with no problems whatsoever. I have never been billed for overnight usage, so far. The key is to disconnect just after 12 AM, and just before 8 AM everyday.

Originally posted by rastapopulus@
Put an alarm to get up everyday at 7:45 am, disconnect the router and go bk to sleep
Dude, you need to learn how to get your computer to get your work done for you, and get some sleep :P

Exactly, Computers should work for us rather than we working for computers.All automation works if one knows how to use it...

Back