MTNL Triband Broadband: Enable to get Internet on Linux

• Thread starter Thread starter joey534
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 4,029
Joey it seems suse doesnt have ppppoeconf by default or maybe other such command . In a console prompt type ppp and press tab for autocomplete maybe command is different in suse :D or i think you will need to get proper rpm package. Btw is ur lancard properly detected ? you can check that by typing ifconfig in console . you can also use the other mode in which modem automatically connects to internet and act as gateway for ur pc , with that you can set suse to take ip from dhcp server . My knowledge on ADSL modems is limited since i just had a look over their config once or twice and never had a modem based connection yet .

joey534, from what you've mentioned in your posts, it seems you dual-boot between Windows and Open SUSE.
You have configured the modem with the PPPoE defaults, which also enables DHCP and automatically discovers the DNS server address on the modem.

Now, you've said that you can connect on Windows, but while you're on linux the ethernet led is off. Which means your cables and NIC are properly installed, coz u can connect from Windows.

On Suse, check your network configuration. Make sure that your network interface eth0 is enabled. If it isn't, the Ethernet led on your modem will not light up.

Once u have that checked, then u can make sure the interface is configured to use DHCP. You may need to specify the DNS servers manually. You can get this from the modem interface.

good luck

The probz got fixed finally.

It got solved after resetting my Ethernet card.
A friend of mine said that due to some capacitor not discharging properly the Ethernet card doesn't release properly and is stuck with windows config even when Linux boots.
No configuration was needed, after resetting I got internet on SUSE.

Thank-you all for ur replies!!

Back