Multiuser (PPPoE) configuration issue for BSNL Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter d_igneous
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 16,067
ISP
BSNL
Hi,
I need some urgent help on multiuser (PPPoE) configuration for my Nokia Siemens SL2_141 modem. I know this is a known issue (at least some variations of it) - however, i have tried searching in multiple forums, logged a complaint with BSNL but the issue is not yet solved.
Initially my modem was configured as Bridging (Connection Type) and I could connect only one device (either wired or via wireless) at a time by using the dial up.
Later on, as advised in the BSNL site for multiuser configuration, I have setup the connection type as PPPoE and I could connect multiple devices (laptop, cellphone, etc) at the same time via wireless - i do not need to use the dial up anymore. The problem is with my desktop computer which is still hard wired with the BSNL modem and i am not able to connect to internet. The LAN connection is good - however there is no internet connection. When i am trying to use the dial-up (ideally i do not need to) from my desktop, it is giving me an error 676: Phone line is busy. I believe the issue is due to a simple configuration issue - however, i am not abel to figure it out. Please help. The details are given below:
ipconfig:
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::19af:42ca:f1ec:a1bd%19
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Modem Configuration:

WAN Setting:

Port/Vpi/Vci: 0/0/35
Con Id: 1
Category: UBR (without PCR)
Service: pppoe_0_0_35_1
Interface: pppoe_0_0_35_1
Protocol: PPPoE
Encapsulation Mode: LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING
Igmp: Disabled
QoS: Disabled
State: Enabled
Authentication Method: Auto
Bridge PPPoE frames between WAN and Local Ports (Default Enabled): Checked
Enable NAT: Checked
Enable Firewall: Checked
Enable WAN service: checked
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server Enabled -
Start IP: 192.168.1.2
End IP: 192.168.1.254

Please let me know in case you need any additional details.

Thanks in advance.
D Igneous

At the same time are you able to use your other wireless devices to access the internet?
What error do you get on your desktop when you try accessing the internet (not the dial up)?

Never mind.
I was still doing trial and error with my modem connection configuration and i was able to figure out a way to resolve the issue. Under TCP/IP configuration of my desktop, a specific IP was mentioned. When i changed it to automatic IP configuration, my desktop got connected to internet via LAN.
Thanks anyway.

d_igneous said:
Never mind.
I was still doing trial and error with my modem connection configuration and i was able to figure out a way to resolve the issue. Under TCP/IP configuration of my desktop, a specific IP was mentioned. When i changed it to automatic IP configuration, my desktop got connected to internet via LAN.
Thanks anyway.
yes, your symptoms were not really symptoms, especially since you were dialing out of the modem and also dialing out of your desktop!
also, bridging/ppoe has no impact on multi user, as long as you get a router!!!

Back