• Thread starter Thread starter prakash_mvpa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 5,124

prakash_mvpa

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
last Thursday while watching TV,this update message came,it started updating,then suddenly stb restarted and it went in cycles restarting,restarting :wall::wall::wall:then I tried my best by unplugging the damn thing.tried for a day.no zilch..nothing :(So,took to SUN distributor who gave me the connection.he tested and replaced with a metallic color homecast STB now.he also did the OTA there itself.he is saying I must have switched off power while OTA happens.but I am 100% sure I DID NOT!.:(Now,he says many stb's reached with complaints due to OTA upgrade :Premember,I got SUN DTH on Januray 14.only 4.5 months this lasted.:whistle::whistle:anyways,I am thankful to the dealer for the replacement.He was busy sending ppl for SUN DTH connections.daily it is around 40-50 connections(suburbs of muvattupuzha town,near cochin).

well the funny thing is that not all homes have inverters.my home has an inverter. but the television point is not connected to it. so the stb is not connected to the inverter.so if a power cut takes place during firmware upgrade... i am practically screwed :eek:

what if power fails during upgrade? this can happen when ur luck is running out!there has to be some restore default (basic) firmware option, capable enough to download new upgrade firmware again in case of power failure.

third class chinese hardware and you expect them to have a backup mechanism for recovery? :D

third class chinese hardware and you expect them to have a backup mechanism for recovery? :D

Even first class products which costs Rs.25,000 doesn't have backup recovery :( STBs are designed like that. Only original Dreamboxes has a recovery mechanism.

Even first class products which costs Rs.25,000 doesn't have backup recovery :( STBs are designed like that. Only original Dreamboxes has a recovery mechanism.

Mine is Homecast and i powered off during upgrade twice. there was no problem! After Powering off, i removed the input cable and started the STB, it gave an error, and the previous state was not lost. Then powered off again, connected the cable, then started again, The STB was as before in both the times when i did this.

Mine is Homecast and i powered off during upgrade twice. there was no problem! After Powering off, i removed the input cable and started the STB, it gave an error, and the previous state was not lost. Then powered off again, connected the cable, then started again, The STB was as before in both the times when i did this.

Receiver won't get corrupted when we turn off power during download. After it fully downloads it will start to update. Now if the power goes or some other mistake occurs then receiver will give problems. It needs to erase the flash memory before it can write onto it. Imagine what will happen if power goes out after erasing the flash memory.

No bootloader, so no instructions, so dead.

if we got firmware and a installer in Linux/Window$ ,by connecting to RS232 port of the STB,we can surely fix this problem.

but sun's distributor dont even know this!they have to send it to madras or calicut(in Kerala) to have this fixed!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW,new receiver got two green lines to show signal strength and quality.:thumb:

BTW,new receiver got two green lines to show signal strength and quality.

two green lines are due to the software upgrade:p

Back