Need advice on deciding a sim based router to hook up my NVR to

ISP
Airtel Xstream
I have a CP Plus NVR hooked up to the wired Airtel broadband at my home (independent house) that gives me security alerts on the 6 x 2mp cameras linked to it. I am now considering a sim based router to hook up my NVR to, as I am likely to be away from my home for an extended period of time (and there's no one else there). Some questions that come to mind:
  • 4g vs 5g sim/router?
  • Airfibre vs telco-provided routers vs telco-independent router?

Any other advice/ suggestions greatly appreciated.

Considering 2MP, then you are likely recording at 720 or 1080p.

I'd say, if your goal is to use wireless exclusively for NVR, and you get ok-ishh reception wherever you will be keeping the wireless router.
Then, go for any 4G LTE router (even the cheaper CAT4 LTE are fine).

Additionally, spend some in a backup power/UPS for your cameras and the mentioned LTE router.

I don't see the point in spending any more than this or getting expensive gear/telco.

Upvote 1
@Lolita_Magnum Thanks so much for the prompt revert. It's good to know that a 4G router will suffice. My NVR requires a wired connection to the router so I'll be keeping the router close to it (which is also the case with my present router).

If it's not too much of a bother, any advice on brands (especially those to avoid)? Basis Amazon reviews, I noted TP-Link N300 and Conbre CPE MT-300H and was struck by the price difference.

Upvote 0
Well, between the two, we can eliminate the Wi-Fi since you won't be using that.

The Conbre does not have much to report on specs but, from I heard, it does not support the higher band 4G frequencies.
This should not be an issue, if you are not living in a dense area or urban/metro.

Upvote 1
May I know the reasoning behind switching to a LTE/5G based system from a wired system? Wired would always be more stable right.

Upvote 0
@MrGordon The wired system is more vulnerable to external accident/ sabotage. Say someone wanted to disable the cameras- arguably the most effective way would be to slash the incoming wire. Also remotely rectifying a problem, if it were to happen by accident, may not always be possible or practical.

Upvote 0
Makes sense. In my case, I have both wired and wireless with wireless being the backup link. So in case the primary wired connection fails, it falls back to the 5G link. I use Jio, and just recharge with the basic plan, 479 for 84 days.

For connectivity I use a roof mounted 5G device (Yeacomm unit).

In my case I have wired for better performance, as I’d be staying at the location every couple of months too.

Upvote 1
@MrGordon Thanks for sharing. For a layman like me, that's very enlightening, even if not practically feasible. And I'm glad you mentioned your Jio plan. That's triggered questions that I hadn't fully considered before- related to deciding what would be the ideal plan for my circumstances. Thanks, again.

Upvote 0

Back