Need Motorola's PC Suite

You'll get the updates OTA, so no need to worry. And as far as I know Defy series will stay on GB forever. It may get some maintenance update though.

No updates landed till date. I expected atleast bug fixes. XT535 has got ICS for its Chinese users though.
The reason I picked up a phone with GB in the first place was it made no difference to my wife whether it ran GB or Cupcake. All she wanted was a phone to make calls, message and check FB. Even Whatsapp was new to her.

My Motorola Defy+, which is now with my sis, got an OTA update some months ago. Visual changes included a new JB type lock & call screen. No idea about other fixes though.
My previous phone which was a Motorola Electrify too was receiving OTA maintenance update, but I purposely avoided installing it as it was updating the bootloader and it would be impossible to unlock it.

No custom ROMs for Defy XT. You may try flashing the Chinese ICS ROM using RSDLite but I doubt it will have Google Apps/Play Store. Also keep in mind that once you flash the ICS ROM, you can't go back to GB. I would suggest to stick to the current GB ROM.

Chinese ICS does have Play since its an official release. Well, I still have six months to go.. let me not think about it now!

Back