No 5.1 Audio in HD channels

^^^^I already have A special collectors' edition of Titanic. I also have a Blu Ray of Avatar, and Independence Day. I have watched these movies on the PC, as well as when these were aired by the respective channels.Yes, early last year there was a lack of punch in the audio, and that tad glitch in video, as compared to a 1080p video. But since the last 8-10 months atleast, i have marked the difference in the audio. Its as good as watching on a PC (Mind u, i have a 1 GB Graphics card in my PC, 4 GB RAM, i5, and is connected to the 42" LED - so its an HTPC).The audio even on the HD music channels is notably improved, and is as good as the output from a 320kbps+ soundtrack on a PC.Coming to ur comparison with a real and a fake arm candy phone.......well, atleast u cud feel the difference when u dug deep into the fake one. Here, even that isnt happening!

@Jaymin, is your reciever detectingg 5.1 input from STB?

@ ^ he dont have a reciever dude.@jaymin:Two pointed questions:1. What exactly is your audio config during d2h viewing?2. What is the audio config on the d2h box?And yes. Audio will be good. No denying. But only just good. Not great by any stretch. Even if stereo or whatever you term 5.1. Just like a 320+ kbps MP3(I hope u do mean MP3 and not any lossless format).

C'mon my setup is already known to u....why repeat it? :p As far as the audio setup in the box, i have set it up as Home Theatre (IIRC thats the term used for 5.1 ch).And when i say notable difference in audio quality, i mean its the same like i get thru my PC. Yes i wont get the Dolby sound even from my PC, since my setup has that much limitation. But thats the only thing missing here - Dolby 5.1, as against plain 5.1!

well thats exactly wht i say. You will be blown away if you hear the real thing. believe u me even an entry level HT will be good enuff for you. ~20k would get you a yammy/denon/onkyo htib. The thing is you arent feeding 5.1 even to your TV(HDMI doesnt carry 5.1 audio on any STB). all that the TV and speaker is doing is pushing out the respective frequencies as best as it can.

Well, i again say, u r confusing Dolby 5.1, with 5.1!

The thing is you arent feeding 5.1 even to your TV(HDMI doesnt carry 5.1 audio on any STB). all that the TV and speaker is doing is pushing out the respective frequencies as best as it can.

HDMI do carry dolby 5.1 surround sound. And d2h is providing only surround sound. Neither dolby nor 5.1

Other than HDMI, SPDIF port can be used for connecting STB to HT.

HDMI can carry dolby but it doesnt. No player is doing it. Atleast in India as of now.SPDIF and coaxial as on date are carrying.And i know d2h is on stereo. I am not discussing that anyway@jaymin: 5.1 has never been just switching 5 tweeters and 1 sub on. If you get the drift.

The speaker sets, i dont think, are that smart to actually gauge as to which sound should come from which speaker! I thought it worked more on GIGO principle.....whatever u fed into it, it will throw the same quality of output back at u! If it did not get the information from the incoming signal that which wave should be blasted in from which speaker, then how can it do that on its own?If u claim that this information is not coming thru the STB in the signals, then how does the speaker know that?

so u agree that speakers arent smart. Right?They just put out what they get. 1. Now obviously you connect the STB to the TV using HDMI. You have succesfully managed stereo sent to the TV.2. I believe you have a stereo 3.5mm or the likes connected from TV's stereo audio out jack to the speakers. Where may I ask is "5.1" here? What actually happens here is that stuff below a particular freq (usually 100Hz) comes out of the sub. the rest is still stereo. So you technically should hear one set of sound from left front and left rear together. The second set of sound from right front and right rear.5.1 means whatever is meant from a particular speaker comes out of that speaker and not a set of speakers unless meant like that.BTW i was just reading through the thread. I noticed you mentioned you havent seen any speakers not having 5 slotted output to the sattelites. of course you havent. they dont exist. I was talking about the input to the whole speaker set which must be a single stereo cable as i foresee your setup.

Back