Opinions on Airtel Xstream fibre service in Delhi

• Thread starter Thread starter lunasylvia
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,078
ISP
Excitel
Greetings,

I've been a loyal Excitel user for almost 5 years (switched to them from MTNL back in 2016) but unfortunately their service in the past few months has been subpar in my region (South Delhi, around Khel Gaon Marg/South Extension). While they've been providing decent internet speeds, their internet service has been going down a lot lately, on an average it's at least once a week (and that too on weekends for around 5/6 hours). I am currently paying ₹1200 per month for the "Excitel Fiber 300" plan.

In short, I am considering making a switch to Airtel Xstream and I would like the opinions of their existing customers. How long does it take them to install the connection? Did you encounter any issues? Are you happy with their services?

Another major motivating factor behind my decision to switch is the fact that Excitel operates on a CGNAT configuration. This has been an hindrance for someone like me who has a NAS and is hosting their own media servers (Mostly Plex/Komga). Right now I am only able to run them on my local network and I can't access them remotely. I did try using ZeroTier but unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to work. Before posting this thread I also searched the forums and I found out that Airtel isn't using CGNAT and port forwarding is possible.

I am also assuming that like Excitel, Airtel will also be providing me with an ONT. How good is it? My current one which was provided by Excitel performs poorly and has a very limited range (Even on the 2.4ghz band my speeds drop down to 10/20 mega bits/second the moment I enter a different room inside my house).
Before I upgraded to "Exictel Fiber" I was using one of their base plans (50mbps) with my TP-Link router and that router had an excellent range.

In the end, I just want to know -
-> Your opinions on Airtel Xsteam Fiber? Given my circumstances/usage, is it worth the switch?
-> If port forwarding on Airtel is possible, will I have to use a third party router in bridge mode? Will I also have to opt for a static IP and pay extra?
-> If there's anything else I need to keep in mind if I make the switch?

All opinions are welcome and your feedback is highly appreciated! Thank you.

so airtel 300mbps connection would cost you 1500+GST=1769 per month.
static ip costings these days is 199+GST per month.
you are going to find a lot more sites blocked on airtel compared to excitel.
airtel does support bridge mode but getting hold of a person who would enable it on your connection might require some effort.

@Sushubh Thanks for the reply! This clears things up. As for the blocked site, would I be wrong in assuming that like Excitel, it would be a simple DNS block? Something which can be easily circumvented using Cloudflare's DNS (1.1.1.1/Warp)?

Downtime are rare with airtel and resolution is prompt. In majority of cases installation will happen same day.

Yep. That's what you get for paying less on Excitel. Their LCO guys barely bother. lol On Airtel, I have rarely seen any downtime. And their guys respond quickly.

Local engineers are rarely changed and they get to know you personally. So even if you don't log a complaint and call the engineer, still the issue will be resolved. With excitel CC is able to resolve you are good, otherwise there is no escalation matrix but in Airtel you can definitely escalate.

In Jio and Airtel, technicians are assigned areas and they are responsible for all the tickets and Service Requests pertaining to that area.
Don't know why they are called 'Engineers' though.

Back