Please explain differance between IPTV and DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter Harshal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 13,210
You are in the wrong forum. Go to the BSNL IPTV forum. All the information is available there.

ThanksThanks for advice.But I an posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I an posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I am posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I am posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I am posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.

Thanks for advice.But I am posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Sorry for multiple posts.Actually it was showing "server is busy" message.So I did not have any idea of double,triple.... posts.

IPTV is Internet Protol Television or something - it's basically TV through the internet. It gives you better options in that you'll be able to watch programs from a few days ago if you chose to, you'll be able to chose from hundreds of thousands of movies and watch them at a time of your chosing, etc. But this will require 2mbps connections, etc. So, I'm curious to see what IPTV throws at us, but given the disaster that has been DTH, I'm not really very optimistic!ps- if someone forced you to post the following, please tell us. Acc to recent legislation we can sue them for cruelty to children."Thanks for advice.But I an posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I an posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I am posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I am posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly.Thanks for advice.But I am posting it here because members in this forum are very knowledgable and active.So I will get info quickly."

Note: I am writing this post like an article. OK, here we go.

DTH is an acronym for Direct-To-Home Broadcasting and IPTV for Internet Protocol Television.

DTH
In countries like India, landline telephones are still a luxury in remote villages. A hamlet with ten families is very unlikely to have a telephone connection, let alone cable. DTH is useful in such cases (lets keep the matter of how they have electricity to watch TV aside).

A DTH provider leases transponders on a satellite that provides a footprint over the area of interest. He downloads signals from various content providers, encodes and scrambles them and uploads it to his satellite.
A viewer (who has already purchased a DTH package consisting of a small dish, set top box and remote control) receives the signal from the satellite and the signal is unscrambled and decoded at his end. This is then available on the tv (to which audio and video cables from the box are already connected).

DTH has the capability to provide hundreds of channels of extremely high quality.

In India, till the arrival of DTH, cable operators held a monopoly and provided (a lot of them still so) substandard service. Viewers like me get DTH so that we can get rid of our cable operator and can enjoy television in high quality. So it seems that DTH is also useful for us city folks.

DTH costs:
Set top box + installation : About INR 4000.
Monthly charges : INR 150 to INR 300 (free if you go for DD Direct)

IPTV
As with everything else, IPTV has two sides - a theoretical side and a practical side.

IPTV - Theory
Just like computers have changed the concept of one-gadget-one-function, the internet has changed the source, quality and direction of flow of information. IPTV tries to harness this power of the internet to provide a revolutionary way of television viewing.

Traditional television viewing and even newer forms like DTH work on the concept of providing you a specific number of channels and making you select one of them. Programs are telecast at specific times and the viewer has to sit in front of the tv or he might miss it.

Technologies like VCR, TiVo and PVR (Personal Video Recorder) allow the viewer to 'time-shift' (change the time of viewing) and 'place-shift' (change the place of viewing), but these offer only a little convenience. He can record the program and watch it at his convenience or take the recorded tape/ cd etc and watch it somewhere else.

IPTV says, wait a second, you don't need to do that. I will store all the movies, music, serials and what not on my servers. Whenever you want to see something, contact my servers and start watching/ hearing whatever it is that you want. Now the viewer no longer needs to plan his day according to erratic television schedules. If he is unable to watch a daily soap for a week because he is busy with work, he can lie back on the weekend and see all five episodes back-to-back.

Movies are available on what is called Video-On-Demand (VOD), which is just a technical term for the contents of the previous paragraph.

All this media content will be provided through telephone lines/ optic fiber cables which have already been laid out to provide everybody with telephones, broadband etc. This line/ cable which is already present in most houses is connected to a device (digital set top box) which is then connected to your television. This device performs a few functions - protects the IP (intellectual property) of the content owners, decodes the scrambled data coming in and converts it to a format suitable for your tv. It also provides a navigation system and an input device (remote control, wireless keyboard etc.) so that you can operate it.

Now you can communicate over telephone, surf the internet and fulfill all your multimedia requirements via a single line/ cable which has been split to provide three separate services. This is also known as 'convergence' or 'triple play'

All this requires enormous amounts of bandwidth which leads us to the next section, which is practical aspects of IPTV.

IPTV - Practice
IPTV is currently available in India mainly through BSNL and MTNL. This IPTV can hardly be compared to theoretical IPTV. What these companies are providing is a cross between cable and DTH. We have all the usual suspects here - set top box, remote, tv and telephone line/ OFC. The connections are done as explained above.

When you select a particular channel, the provider's servers start sending video to your box which then does the usual things (decoding etc.) and you can see the result on the tv. Currently, you can see channels like on normal cable or DTH and this is not entirely the provider's fault. The quality should be better than cable and should be equal to DTH.

They also provide VOD and this should be much-much better that the joke that the DTH providers are playing on customers. You will find a good selection of movies (at least quantity-wise).

IPTV Costs:
Installation charges : INR 889 (info from BSNL IPTV forum)
Monthly costs (subscription + box rental) : INR 199 + INR 100 = INR 299. (info from iolbroadband.com)

Summary
It is a good start as far as choice for consumers is concerned. Now we have terrestrial transmission, cable/ CAS, DTH and IPTV to choose from.
But the way content is created and sold, how much bandwidth is required, how advertising will be done, the future of television channels etc. needs to be figured out before theory becomes practice.

"IPTV enables a data-voice-video "triple play" service to be based entirely on IP because Internet access, voice over IP (VoIP) and IPTV all use the same IP packet format.Rather than tune into one of many video channels being transmitted simultaneously over cable TV, IPTV users request a particular channel, which is routed to the user like every resource on the Internet."The main difference is like :In Cable/DTH, all the content is pushed and you will select from that.In IPTV, the content from the servers will be pulled as per your choice.

Can anyone throw light on the popularity and market share of the three major TV delivery - cable, DTH, IPTV - in US, Europe or any western country. What happened to the experiment done in Singapore? Can IPTV support 250 million customers, especially at peak viewing hours or during peak events? Will appreciate any information from our tech-savvy friends.

See the vast difference between theory and practice. We are better off with DTH; both tatasku and dishtv offer more.

July 23, 2007 IPTV in Singapore gets new provider

Story link: IPTV in Singapore gets new provider by David Allen
For sometime now in Singapore the has been only one IPTV provider. StarHub has had a virtual monopoly but that has changed with the launch of SingTel IPTV service Mio TV.
SingTels service is being sold on flexibility, but this could be a cover because at the moment they will be only offering 33 channels while StarHub offers over 88 channels.
But what will be different about Mio TV is that they will allow subscribers to pick and choose their channel choice. Packages will start at S$3.21 per month and rise to S$12.84 per month for HD channels. However there will be a monthly minimum subscription of S$15.
Channels include two new services from the BBC, factual channel BBC Knowledge an BBC Lifestyle. Cbeebies – the BBC’s pre-school children’s channel – is also launching. Sony will launch a new female-targeted channel, Sony Entertainment Television.
Other companies providing channels include CCTV, Taiwan’s link-removed, and India’s Zee TV.
There will also be a video on demand service, which will offer 25 movies with unlimited viewing for only S$12 per month. As well as the Jetix SVOD service which is from Disney.
The competition has already begun with packages being announced by both companies, which include internet access, equipment and phone lines.
This is the sort of competition that IPTV needs on a worldwide scale, more competition, means better packages and value for the consumers.

From CNET: June 2007

If you want an IPTV service in the UK right now, you have very few choices. One is Tiscali TV, formerly known as Homechoice, a broadband and on-demand TV service. Another is BT Vision, a combination of IPTV and Freeview in one box. The clever bit about BT Vision is that it doesn't waste bandwidth by sending regular TV channels over the Internet, thus blocking the tubes -- it picks normal TV up via Freeview, but has a built-in hard drive, which means you can still pause live TV and skip the adverts if you so desire.

MTNL/BSNL expects to 50000 customers in 18 months. Even in UK IPTV hasn't got a firm hold.

CNET: Jun 2007

If you want an IPTV service in the UK right now, you have very few choices. One is Tiscali TV, formerly known as Homechoice, a broadband and on-demand TV service. Another is BT Vision, a combination of IPTV and Freeview in one box. The clever bit about BT Vision is that it doesn't waste bandwidth by sending regular TV channels over the Internet, thus blocking the tubes -- it picks normal TV up via Freeview, but has a built-in hard drive, which means you can still pause live TV and skip the adverts if you so desire.

What is happening? Display of posting is erratic. If IPTV behaves like this, we will see tomorrow's episode today and several times.

Puzzle cleared. If I post again before somebody else does, my new post gets appended to the old one.

am laughingggggggggg my heart out with this comment.... sorry sushubh bhai.. couldnt help it... :rofl::rofl::hysterical::hysterical::yahoo:@ eidur22ps- if someone forced you to post the following, please tell us. Acc to recent legislation we can sue them for cruelty to children.

Back