Please explain these terms to a mobile phone noob ...

• Thread starter Thread starter adsl
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,275

adsl

ISP
MTNL 384K UL :-)
I must be the only person in Mumbai without a mobile ! Thinking of getting one. HOWEVER, very confused about the plans/services offered.

Please explain "recharge coupon", "topup coupon", "bonus coupon", "data download" and especially "Validity".

If I opt for a prepaid plan, what exactly should I do, and in what order.

Sorry if these are 'dumb' questions, but better to be dumb for only a short while ( until you guys reply ).

And, if I want to access e-mail / websites on my mobile, what extra do I need to do.

Finally, any reason not to opt for MTNL ?

Hi adsl! I've answered your questions to the best of my knowledge! Guys please feel free to correct where ever I'm wrong!

Please explain "recharge coupon", "topup coupon", "bonus coupon", "data download" and especially "Validity".

Recharge: This means adding more money to your account (talk time) and extending the number of days you can use the card (expiry)..

topup coupon: Here you can only add more talk time and cannot extend the expiry date of your number.

bonus coupon: This is where you can avail stuff like 10ps/min or free sms or 1ps/sec calls etc... by paying a certain amt for a month , 3mths or in case of airtel even 6mths..

data download: Normally when u go for mobile internet, there is a data limit set per day/week/month. This limit is termed data download limit.

Validity: This is the number of days remaining after which you cannot make/receive calls on your phone and will have to forfeit your number after a particular 'grace' period where your number will be inactive till you recharge.

If I opt for a prepaid plan, what exactly should I do, and in what order:

A: Just goto any operator's shop and they will guide you. But please take 2 passport size photos, driving license or any other id photocopy with you. You will be required to fill a form

Sorry if these are 'dumb' questions, but better to be dumb for only a short while ( until you guys reply ).

A: No questions are dumb questions! :)

And, if I want to access e-mail / websites on my mobile, what extra do I need to do.

A: Opt for any mobile internet plans! make sure you check the download limit you can use!

Finally, any reason not to opt for MTNL ?

A: I dont know about this since am from Chennai!

Thanks. Believe me, I asked peep who actually have a prepaid plan - and they could not give me a correct answer. As tho they were ashamed to admit they did not really understand, and did not want to ask because that would be like admitting they don't know.

Anyway, when I sign up, at say Vodafone, I get a SIM card - what does 'Lifetime Validity' actually mean at that stage ?

I then get a recharge coupon and activate it - my 'validity' gets extended, right ? Typically by how many days ?

I tried the Vodafone site, boy, un-understandable. There's :
Vodafone - Why Vodafone Prepaid Lifelong offer - Mumbai ( Rs 29 )
and
Prepaid Cost Structure-Mumbai ( Rs 49 )

Also, recharge coupons with 0 validity days ?! ( first link )

Someone here should write a guide to prepaid schemes.

lifetime validity usually means that you have to put in some money into the SIM every six months at least. you can use a validity free topup. but a topup is compulsory.

Back