pon blinking/flashing rx -30 .

• Thread starter Thread starter MEGAN
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,143
hello everyone , 2 days back at night due to some digging , the fiber wires ripped off - los came , next day -it was repaired - connection is back -all good , then at the same day at evening -
los came again - on enquiring - the repair work was going on - after that pon started blinking -no network found - the rx optical info is -30 .

is it possible the splicing wasnt done good ? at the spot where they were repairing coinciding with pon blinking started .
now today they said too much digging work happend spoiling the wires near the exchange ...
any ideas ,suggestions ? thank you .

Yes it is very much possible that your fiber is cut or poorly spliced. You can inform the LCO.

thank you for answering , i told him already , to check the place where he first performed the splicing . he said he will look into it, but still i get the pon blinkin flashing till now , i feel bad to keep calling them , its been more than 4 times today from morning . no idea how to take it further ..

Don't Worry about calling your LCO.
PON Blinking Red is ample reason to request/demand corrective/remedial action as there's NO INTERNET CONNECTION.

You haven't mentioned WHY the Fiber was cut in the first place. Assuming it was due to some construction or road work, I recommend waiting for the work to be over, otherwise, the fiber will keep getting cut/damaged.

i have mentioned it first post - due to digging as well yesterday they said electric poles being replaced or erected again something, so the wires were untied and thrown to ground ,damagin some , so they are working on it, but it was working good -till i got los , i called immediately to tell them los happend , then he picked up and said in 10 mins it will be back , but then i called him he said he finished work , but this time pon light started flashing/blinking green - no network , rx is -32 , then he said dono why pon is blinking green . today no ones answering my calls. i book a complain yesterday so atleast i can get rebate later .

update - they replaced wires at streets, nothing at my indoors , now i checked the rx

its so close to -27 , is it possible for disconnection again anytime soon ?
RX Optical Power:-26.02 dBm-27 to -3 dBm
this was at first when new fiber was laid -
Optical Signal Sending Status: Auto Auto
TX Optical Power: 2.38 dBm 0.5 to 5 dBm
RX Optical Power: -23.67 dBm -27 to -3 dBm
Working Voltage: 3299 mV 3100 to 3500 mV
Bias Current: 9 mA 0 to 90 mA
Working Temperature: 53 ℃ -10 to +85 ℃
and now its - 26 RX Optical Power:

Last edited:
RX Optical Power: It should not exceed -27 as per your Modem. Some Modems have a higher tolerance and can work even at -30dBm.
Hence, your status is right on the edge of tolerance
If the internet is working, then do not go on complaining to the LCO.
The working temperature is on the higher side. Try to place the Modem in a ventilated area for some airflow. It might help in slightly improving the Tx and Rx numbers.
Check if the PON Red LED blinks occasionally or not. The PON LED should ALWAYS be SOLID GREEN for a decent and steady connection.

hello , thank you for replying @alap4m , today they again put a new fiber line in main road , now rx power is -20.56 ,ya my ambient room temp at summer is around 27-29 ,peaks to 29-31 - the computers or chargers will be hot those days , this is new modem dint yet see the summer days ,its already in 50s temps now , i keep it lifted so air flows well , thinking of keep a small fan to blow it . yes pon green light stayed stable at -27 and was all ok . now its -20 , happy about it . :)

Back