Possibility of Indian ISPs increasing broadband speeds?

• Thread starter Thread starter AD2011
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,330
ISP
Alliance BB, Indinet BB (SITI), Jio Fiber, Jio 5G
Will there be any increase in broadband speeds (without change in price) since 5G is launching in India?
Jio will be giving unlimited 5G at "gigabit" speeds for free during the trial. If the ISPs do not increase their speeds, people will generally move away from them and just use 5G.
What do you all think on this opinion?

But, with the increased speed and say a few days of free trial, 5G will eventually be either based on same daily capped data model, with slightly higher prices and for unlimited data broadband has been always a cheaper option, so with that speeds unlimited plans are not going to be any cheaper!
Edit:-anyways, it would always be nice to have extra speed on existing plans.

Last edited:
Will "5G" even be that better, in a lot of places even 4G is not that much better than 3G.

I remember getting 7Mbps on 3G back around 2015 when 1GB of data cost 250 rupees.

Wired broadband has really improved since then though.

I don't think there is any need for increasing the broadband speeds with onset of 5g or anything. The main thing was the low fup in broadband plans but thanks to jio fiber, now almost all isps even the local ones provide almost unlimited fup with speeds ranging from 30mbps to 300 mbps.
Atleast in my case i was having local isp paying 750rs for 200mbps with 400gb fub, but after jio fiber entry , now i am getting 170mbps 4tb fub for the same 750rs. I don't hardly see any noticeable improvements whether the speed is 150 or 200 or even 1000mbps atleast it would be like that for any normal household.

The only thing that is now more important is the quality of the broadband, especially the ones providing 150 mbps speeds for local servers , hardly reaches 30mbps to international servers while others have high latency issues. I think isps needs to focus on that more rather than increasing speeds simply.

Thing is 5G on mobiles/dongles will be a separate product offering and always more expensive GB for GB than broadband. And then you have data caps. I am not sure if Airtel or Jio will raise BB speeds to match. But of course there's a possibility and a hope we users have. Lets see how it evolves over the months and years to come. For now and the next 12-15 months they will only concentrate on a 5G roll out countrywide.

Maybe, but 5g cannot be given unlimited like a broadband it messes up the speed. Broadband gives less pings and give advertised speed 90% of the time but for 5g If I will get 1 gbps today tomorrow it will be 10 mbps because of congestion

One of the features of 5G is to address congestion, AFAIK. Let's see how things pan out.

Will "5G" even be that better, in a lot of places even 4G is not that much better than 3G.

I remember getting 7Mbps on 3G back around 2015 when 1GB of data cost 250 rupees.

Wired broadband has really improved since then though.
True

Back