PPPoe configuration Not Working

• Thread starter Thread starter harsha_c
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 71,726

harsha_c

I have had ACT Broadband for the last 1 year & have been an extremely satisfied customer. Never had any major issues & all complaints have been attended very promptly. However, the only fly in the ointment has been the login. ACT keeps disconnecting me once every 24 hours. This throws all my VPN, Remote Desktop etc out of gear. I have to manually goto portal.acttv.in & again relogin through the browser window. This has started to become very annoying as it always seems to happen when I am in the office & I need some files from my home system.

My ACT broadband is connected to a WRT 54G wireless router (yes with a RJ45 jack). I saw in some threads that PPPoE can be configured for login. This is extremely helpful as my router can connect to the net automatically without requiring the stupid browser login. However, when I set up my router to PPPoe, it does not connect at all. No ip address is obtained, no error messages etc. I am forced back to use the DHCP mode & login through the browser window.

Can anybody confirm if PPPoe still works ? Also can somebody in ACT change the forced login to atleast once a week instead of everyday. Its not like anybody can steal my connection.

Thanks in advance for the help
ScreenShot -

PPPoE works on my end so it may be a problem with your router (I see you have Tomato installed) if you've entered your username and password correctly. ACT can only lease someone an ip address for 24 hours so it won't be possible to extend the login period to a week AFAIK...

Thanks for the reply mS8^Y4prh8... Yesterday, I did flashback stock Linksys firmware & DD-wrt to check. Both did not work. Can you tell me which router you are using ? This week I am planning to borrow a D-Link router & see if it will work. Is my configuration (entering of the username & password etc correct) ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a WCR-GN which is a dirt cheap router from Buffalo. It has really shitty firmware (it isn't supported by most aftermarket firmware) but "it just werks" with ACT so I'm fine with it.

The following is a screen of my PPPoE settings page. The only thing that's different is I haven't specified a Service Name and my MTU Size is 1454 bytes. Try changing them to my values and see what happens.

Another thing you can try is setting your router to DHCP Auto Acquisition. I find this works when I have problems with manually specifying PPPoE settings.

GOT IT WORKING FINALLY!!!!! The service name was the problem. After it is removed, it is working perfectly. Thanks a lot for your help mS8^Y4prh8 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still having the same problem and I have left the service name blank. Called ACT and they are clueless. They have sent engineers to my house twice and they don't know why it wont work.

I called up ACT technical help and they fixed it for me. Try these steps.

[*]Logout of the session through http://portal.acttv.in/
[*]Remove the cable from the router and connect directly to your machine.
[*]Login to http://portal.acttv.in/. Ensure that you have internet now
[*]Logout of the session through http://portal.acttv.in/
[*]Remove the cable from the machine and connect back to the router.
[*]Set your router up for PPPOE.
[/list]Check if you have internet.
The explanation that they gave was that you have to log out of existing sessions before you can enable PPPOE on your router. Good luck

Got ACT connected in evening. Technician connected it DHCP mode and said for some modems pppoe wouldn't work. He promised a solution tomorrow and left. But I found it myself.
This is the solution for those who struggle. My connection is LAN connected to a router (D-Link 300) and I connect laptop using WiFi.
1) Make sure you have only one laptop connected to router (Shutdown/disconnect WiFi/LAN from other devices).
2) Connect Laptop to WiFi, login to Home and logout.
3) Restart laptop and router. If laptop is connected to WiFi after restart disabe/disconnect WiFi.
4) Pull LAN cable from router and put into laptop. Connect Home, login and logout.
5) Pull LAN cable from laptop (Dont put it back into router).
6) Reboot/restart router.
7) Connect laptop WiFi to router, setup your pppoe the way you know it should work. Save settings and restart/reboot router.
Dynamic PPPoE.
no service name
no IP address.
DNS can be from ISP OR use 8.8.8.8. and 208.67.222.222
Select connect mode as always.
8) Put ACT LAN cable into router, and now it should work.

Rekha Mathew, does this continue to work for you without having to login every 24 hours or so? I am having trouble setting up my Apple Airport Extreme for PPPoE and if your solution works for you continuously I would like to try it out.

Thanks and cheers

Got ACT connected in evening. Technician connected it DHCP mode and said for some modems pppoe wouldn't work. He promised a solution tomorrow and left. But I found it myself.
This is the solution for those who struggle. My connection is LAN connected to a router (D-Link 300) and I connect laptop using WiFi.
1) Make sure you have only one laptop connected to router (Shutdown/disconnect WiFi/LAN from other devices).
2) Connect Laptop to WiFi, login to Home and logout.
3) Restart laptop and router. If laptop is connected to WiFi after restart disabe/disconnect WiFi.
4) Pull LAN cable from router and put into laptop. Connect Home, login and logout.
5) Pull LAN cable from laptop (Dont put it back into router).
6) Reboot/restart router.
7) Connect laptop WiFi to router, setup your pppoe the way you know it should work. Save settings and restart/reboot router.
Dynamic PPPoE.
no service name
no IP address.
DNS can be from ISP OR use 8.8.8.8. and 208.67.222.222
Select connect mode as always.
8) Put ACT LAN cable into router, and now it should work.

Back