Problem of connecting to the internet in ubuntu

• Thread starter Thread starter powersum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 15,089

powersum

ISP
bsnl
i'm running XP and ubuntu 7.10.. i'm able to connect to the net from XP, but not from ubuntu.. should i configure t modem for ubuntu again.. plz explain...i hav tried several times and also tryin from many days. :(

Goto terminal and type
sudo ppoeconf
and enter your username and password

it should work

i tried all that already.. i typed sudo pppoeconf and then entered username nd password, also started t connection with pon dsl-provider.
But still it doesn connect.. i am running 2 operatin sys.. windows nd linux..
so i'm askin whether i should reconfig the modem for linux, and will that affect for windows... plz explain in steps.. i really wan to use linux..:ashamed:

yes, please try to use LAN port and also set your modem not in bridged mode but in PPPoE mode with DHCP enabled so that it does the dialling and ubuntu can automatically connect to the net...(if you posted your modem model number someone who if familiar with it might provide better advice)

yes, please try to use LAN port and also set your modem not in bridged mode but in PPPoE mode with DHCP enabled so that it does the dialling and ubuntu can automatically connect to the net...

(if you posted your modem model number someone who if familiar with it might provide better advice)

i was so disappointed with connecting nd other probs that i removed ubuntu from my system... will install again nd give it a try.. but wen i logon to win XP, i need to reset it in bridge mode.. or else it gives problems.. any solution to that...

problems? like what? you can set your tcpip LAN settings to "automatically obtain IP address" it should work...

in ubuntu its always better you try to connect having ppoe mode in the modem.. i.e. you modem is dialing out your connection and your internet works as soon as your modem is switched on!!

yes, even i managed to set internet connection in Ubuntu using the valuable advices from techies here:yahoo:

Back