Problem sharing connection between Vista & XP

• Thread starter Thread starter pixelator
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 8,194

pixelator

ISP
BSNL Dataone
After a lot of r&d, I had finally got my home desktop (which runs Windows XP) and my new laptop (Windows Vista) sharing my BSNL DataOne connection on a Type 1 modem. I had connected the desktop to the modem using USB, since the USB drivers don't seem to work with Vista. The laptop was connected through the Ethernet cable. Everything seemed to work fine and I was able to access the internet on either or both of the computers simultaneously.Then, yesterday I goofed up while trying to connect the two computers using a crossover cable. Both computers suggested changes to network settings and went ahead and made those. I was never able to get them to connect and share files, but on the flip side, the internet stopped working on both.I've since been able to restore the internet connection on the desktop as it was (PPPOE setting in the router with the username and password entered inside it, so I do not have to dial in), but the laptop just won't connect. I think the problem is that it now shows an "unidentified network" between the computer and the internet in it's "Network Sharing Center", whereas it used to just show the computer connecting the internet earlier. I'm not able to get rid of the network in between!Sorry for the long post, but I thought I should provide as much detail as possible so you guys can point me in the right direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In XP we try a System Restore. OR
Delete the new network connection in Network settings OR
Try a repair option in LAN settings OR
Open IE type 192.168.1.1 redo settings.
Mention modem model
BROADBAND MAIN MENU

Thanks, but I've been able to get the Windows XP machine back on track . The USB still doesn't work perfectly, but at least I'm able to connect to the internet through the ethernet cable.The problem I have is with Windows Vista. The network settings are way too different and I can't seem to be able to get rid of the "unidentified network" issue.My modem is UT-300R2U

you should use the following setting...Modem IP - 192.168.1.1Desktop IP - 192.168.1.2 (with gateway 192.168.1.1)Laptop IP - 192.168.1.3 (with gateway 192.168.1.1)with modem on PPPoE mode, you'd be able to surf the internet as well as share files between the PCs...let us know if it works for u...

Problem
1.Computer with XP/ethernet connection/Modem set up OK.
2.Computer with VISTA/ ethernet connection/modem Not OK. "Network Sharing Center" ???
Option A: Laptop. Change the TCP /IP DNS to automatic configuration.
( No Ip no subnet No default Gateway no DNS)
Check Ipconfig in 1 & 2 .
Option B: Uninstall LAN connection/s completely from laptop.
Reinstall with Network Connection Wizard. ( Do not try ICS till Laptop works Ok)
Option 3 : Free Download this program and test laptop network
Registration(Free) required to download
Ping Test
Ping Test Easy (exe), from AutoBAUP - Software Downloads - TechRepublic

About USB: will reply later. In XP Pro Sp2 my laptop crashed when i tried the USB for Modem connection. more later.

Tried options A & C. Neither is working! As for option B, how do I uninstall the LAN connection? Tried disabling the network, but that just stopped all network activity. Enabling it brought me back to the same problem.

Here's what my "Network and Sharing Center" looks like in Vista on the laptop. No matter what I do, the link to the internet just doesn't seem to get enabled, no matter what I try!

FIXED. Finally!On the laptop, I disabled the Ethernet connection, and then instead of enabling it back, just clicked the broken link between the computer and Internet. Vista asked if I wanted to enable the connection and figured out the correct settings. On the desktop, I connected the USB and changed the IPs to automatic detection (same setting on the laptop too). A reboot later, I had internet working on both computers simlutaneously! :-)

Thanks for all the help, guys! It's good to know there's a community to bank on when it's required.

Back