Problems with plug 2 surf whiz and linux

• Thread starter Thread starter salam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 8,911

salam

ISP
Tata Indicom
HI.. All, From Dec 1 I am not able to use plug 2 surf whiz with fedora core 6 linux distro.. It works fine with windows.. FOR LAST TWO MONTHS I WAS USING IT WITH NO ISSUES AT ALL INDEED BETTER THAN WINDOWS.. PROBLEM IS< MY USB MODEM WITH LINUX CONNECTS TO TATA INDICOM SERVER AND PINGS PROPERLY TO REMOTE IP OF PPP CONNECTION. BUT WHEN I TEND TO START AN APPLICATION LIKE A BROWSER OR MESSENGER IT WORKS FOR 30 SECONDS. THEN THE CONNECTION REMAINS BUT NO DATA TRANSFER IS POSSIBLE SEEMS LIKE A FIREWALL BLOCKING ME AT TATA'S END.. I EVEN CANNOT PING TO REMOTE IP OF MY PPP.. AFTER AN APPLICATION IS STARTED. I AM QUITE SURE ITS NOT MY NOTEBOOK ISSUE OR OS... I TRIED WITH A DIFFERENT PC WITH SAME RESULTS.. DOES ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT CHANGES MADE BY TATA ..... PLEASE HELP ME.....

Did you try disabling SELinux and see if it helps?

HI ramaseshan, Thanks for your time.. I will try it out when i reach home.. and will let you know the results.. But as i remember i never enable selinux.. always i tend to disable the selinux during the OS installations.. Any way let me look...

Hi all, SELINUX was already disabled :(... Any more ideas... ? Any way i have called support from indicom peoples.. Just I will be trying to replace the modem and see.. Will let you know the results.. Thanks ...:)

Hi All, Tata Indicom service is too bad .. to be FRANK!!.... I have registered a compliant through phone and one there to look after it.. It's almost 4 days now..Thanks,Salam

hello friend,

how are you conneting from linux... which kind of program are you using to dial...

can you share that information...

R u using wvdial or something else..

if its wvdial please sned or paste your configuration file

which can be found in /etc/wvdial.conf

after connecting which IP do you ping.

try to do a continous ping after connecting to this ip 203.197.12.30

your problem is that dns resolution is not happening..

for this you have to copy the resolv.conf file.

after connecting to internet resolv.conf is created with the DNS server entries in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf copy this file to /etc/ and overwrite the existing

then hopefully your problem will be resolved...

Hi Anand, Thanks for your suggestion.. Yeah i use wvdial and the configuration is as recommended by modem vendor SUNGIL and it was working perfectly for me for two months.. I will sure share the conf with you. The resolver configuration.. After the connection is established, wvdial throws the primary and secondary nameservers to be used. it's same at every time and i copied it down to /etc/resolv.conf The problem doesn't seems to be with resolution... after the connection is dropped when i take an application.. I even cannot ping to a know IP address and even my remote PPP IP... That say's it.. Anyway i will try a continous ping as suggested with a custom ICMP packet size... :)PS: Meanwhile in last one week it worked for me.. two times in linux in night time without any trouble.. Let me check for few more days. Any ways it seems to be an issue with hardware.. I am going catch the neck of INDICOM peoples and going to get it replaced or throw the connection away and will look for an alternative.... Let them go to hell if they can't provide server.............. Isn't it.. Anand...thanks once again..... Be in the loop :)

Dear Friend, If the issue is with hardware then it will not work in windows also. there could be some settings change in your linux OS. Are you using the same PC for both linux and windows or its different..let me know.. When connected are you able to ping this ip 203.197.12.30 before and after opening your application. check this....

Hi,

Please for support on your Sungil USB Modem please contact the ASC.

CityASC NameTypeAddressLandmarkPincodePhoneCochinOlympiaASCDoor No. 40/5984, High Court Junction, banerji Road, EarnakulamHigh Court Junction6820310484-2362474

for further support please send us your more details on [email protected].

Best Regards.
Team Tata Indicom

Hi All, All of a sudden it started working again... last day with no problems. I have not made any changes in my notebook with fedora core 6... Believe it or not!! Seems Indicom team is experimenting on something... Thanks for all help :)Thanks,Salam

Back