Regarding conversions to Christianity

• Thread starter Thread starter netzone
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,281
yeah...its true, i m goan; still those unethical practices r observed in goa to convert hindus to christanity. But nowadays local residents r aware and more cautious, and dont fall prey to such illegal activities, if any missionary is found to deal with such activity either he's beaten or warned so that he wont commit d sam mistake in future. Many of our ancestors got converted to christanity by doing acts such drinking water of pond containing bread or wine; they use suffix as Pereira in their surname like SHENOY- PEREIRA, etc.Nowadays every 1 is using bakery products in daily diet; but doing those days only christans were supposed to eat BAKERY PRODUCTS, thats why they r still being called as 'PAVWALAS'. Its not a slang or something, its their identity. In fact I had come accross many christens who were asked who r they? They simply reply "I M PAAV". I m Shenoy from goa without any suffix!This information contributed on personal experiences, critics r always welcome!

This has been going on since centuries. Govt is working to avoid this things, but the size and diversity of India, add the local politicians to it, and its really hard to control these conversions. I remember Govt refusing aid for tsunami from western countries suspecting that the missionaries would arrive and convert more people.The Govt should take up education in villages as a major project and give it more preference than defence. As i see, the major threat for the country is coming from within it. Education would solve most of the problems.

Eradication of poverty can be other solution since there r some cases in which money is d criteria for conversion.C'mon will u give importance to ur basic needs like food,clothes and shelter or religion??

Eradication of poverty is what govt is trying to attmpt since 1947, and all they got is failure. It is concerned with various other issues like pupulation blast, illetaracy, unemplyment, and useless govt policies.

Is money used to convert people to christianity? If yes, is it legal?

Yes it is legal, in most states and it may be anything, not necesarily money, but how do you make a law against it...

...without infringing on the right to religon, a subject that has occupied this country since its inception. We have as many religons as we do currently because everyone got converted or were free to choose at some point in time :)

Whether its ethical is lot more clear, it isn't, as it takes advantage of ppl and isn't something religon is to be used for.

But that's also a very narrow way of looking at it and assumes there is no net benefit to the practioner, that it is necessarily, always, net bad, which if were true would not allow the movement to spread very far, that they would eventually run out of followers.

I think ppl don't willingly convert, assuming we are talking about the poor here, unless there is a perceived advantage, whether it be social, economical, medical, educational, perhaps even spiritual.

Therefore there is an advantage to doing so, and they are always free to leave on their own volition in the future if they choose to. Naturally it comes with some degree of ostracism as would happen with any religon but one would already have endured that whilst getting converted in the first place.

Other than that, No one is being trapped in any way i think.

However I do feel that the disproportionate reactions to it in Orissa & Karnataka are just using it as a 'pretext' to prepare for the upcoming polls as it's one of those grey areas which can be manipulated for political advantage.

Religon is always useful to anyone with an agenda ;)

Are christians using any unethical or illegal practices to convert people to christianity? Are unethical practices legal?
Is this true?

First be aware there are 3 types of Christian in this country, Catholics, Protestants & Evangelicals. The first two have strict guidelines on how they operate and don't indulge in such aggressive practices as they have been established for several hundred years more than the third category which is the evangelicals (Baptists, Pentecostals & others).

It's this third group that is allegedly using these sorts of practices, then again there are so many different groups within, that using a general term like evangelicals isn't doing the subject justice either.

Instead of painting in broad strokes it would be more accurate to say certain types of evangelicals are using these methods.

Agreed, yes they are unethical but as stated above are not illegal. In fact previous attempts to legislate against over the years have failed for lack of support. Education is certainly a way to combat it, but who will put up the funding for it or ensure said funding effectively reaches the right ppl. I think in many ways its this 'lack' that is being exploited by both sides of the debate.

My view on the subject is the consitution gurantees its citizens, freedom of religon and any more amendments are just that, attacks, on our rights.

Please have a look here
Four Million Hindus Convert to Christ?
I personally feel any kind of conversion is unethical and in most of cases as I've mentioned its against user's consent/wish. There r very few hindus like
Mommy Life: A Hindu convert to Christianity who r really fascinated by christanity, for others either its compulsion or they r lured by money and food.

blr p which type of christian r u? I hope u dont belong to that third category.
BTW has anyone watched 'SINS' of Shiney Ahuja?
:D :rofl:

For my hindu friends please b careful, Beware of Evangelicals.
Following r d practices carried out by Evangelicals, dont fall prey to them;
feel proud that u r hindu, the oldest worshipped religion in india who has background over 5000 yrs.
10 Rules to convert educated Hindu : 10 Rules to convert educated Hindu, vikki76 blogs on sulekha, Religion blogs, vikki76 blog from india

I personally feel any kind of conversion is unethical and in most of cases as I've mentioned its against user's consent/wish.

How is it possible to convert the unwilling ?

for others either its compulsion or they r lured by money and food.

Ppl have been known to do far worse for exactly the above items you mentioned :)

blr p which type of christian r u? I hope u dont belong to that third category.

Hehe, those born again types are not exactly that cool are they :D

Not sure they are considered Christans, but...

...i'm on the fence on all religous matters, an agnostic :)

Back