Reliance Jio to construct 2 other submarine cable system after BBG and AAE-1

• Thread starter Thread starter swatkats
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 4,757
@swatkats these are transits of tier 1 isps right, so what about the local isps who buys transit from tata /airtel , for international, national transits , does the info regarding how much bandwidth these isps brought from tata/airtel is available to the public or to the trai?

Is there any data regarding how much international bandwidth capacity is available with tata , airtel and jio ?
No. It's the overall bandwidth owned by operators reported to TRAI.
Looking at the public data available, I could easily say 50-60% of the India's bandwidth is being utilized by Jio.

Jio has recently started rolling out plans to Business customers and its 50% cheap compared to competition. They should also concentrate on Mass roll out of Tier 2 services to ISP's (However it is unlikely!)

Jio should sell transit to other isps too.
Most of the smaller isp use tata backbone and fewer use airtel. Thats it.

^ Except Triple play and Siti ISP, I see none of them using Jio's bandwidth.
Jio should sell transit to other isps too.
Most of the smaller isp use tata backbone and fewer use airtel. Thats it.
Most of the ISP use combination of Airtel and TATA. Sorry but Airtel bandwidth and routing is better than TATA.

@Anurag Bhatia Please Shed some more light on this?

Let me try to answer that while re-sharing only thing which is already in public domain.

The answer to "Total Indian bandwidth" greatly depends on what you are counting. One may be tempted to just look at submarine cable circuits and find total bandwidth there. But that will far from actual country level bandwidth usage number because so much of caching happens locally. There are thousands and thousands of caching server of Google GGC, Facebook FNA, Netflix OCA, Akamai, etc besides caching PoPs of larger content holding networks like Cloudflare, Fastly, Limelight, Telegram etc. So most of cached content never hits the submarine cable network (it just hits for cache fill). To get a sense of how deep is the caching, you can look at my post on Facebook FNA map, list across India here. This is for Facebook alone but I can imagine Google won't be that different.

Total bandwidth including what is flowing on submarine + locally cached + locally peered etc should be well beyond 100Tbps. For TRAI or anyone it's a hard number to get because one can easily have multiple counts as for one provider x 10G flows are on IP transit, for other they might be on sold wave length and hence the counting challenge.
1-2 tbps capacity for India seems less to me for tier 1 isp like tata 🤔
Some hints here, look for talk by my good friend and VP at Tata Comm - Mr Shailesh Gupta at INNOG 2 in 2019. His talk was on their journey from 64Kbps to 2Tbps and we invited him as a keynote speaker (slides here and video here). Slide 7 gives a hint on submarine capacity and in the video check from here where he mentions "It's around 1Tbps for India, 20Tbps globally for them. Large operators together have 3.5 - 4Tbps".

^ Except Triple play and Siti ISP, I see none of them using Jio's bandwidth.

Most of the ISP use combination of Airtel and TATA. Sorry but Airtel bandwidth and routing is better than TATA.
But I thought TATA was the best in case of International routing? I'm pretty sure Airtel is the best Nationally but I hoped TATA was the better Tier 1 ISP here.

As far as i have experienced , Tata provides best routing and low pings compared to jio and airtel .
Don't know how it compares in terms of international transit

Back