Repeater vs Router / Wireless vs Wired

• Thread starter Thread starter dryash
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 4,750
if the area to be covered by the extender is quite small, a basic one should suffice. though for long term, it might be a good idea to get a high speed dual band router. but once the wiring is done, you can always upgrade. you can also use the wireless extender you already have as it should also have ethernet port.

I have a repeater which has a LAN port..I can't use that as an extender with wires can I?

ok. now that i checked it, the ethernet port on the Netgear wireless extender seems to be outgoing and not incoming. so it probably cannot be connected to the ethernet coming from your primary router. at least that's what it looks like.

@dryash u r getting low speeds due to 2.4g band.
The router u using it supports 2.4g band.
The 2.4g band is provides good range but speeds are low.
I UPGRADED my Airtel connection to FTTH last month.I faced same problem.
Then I bought TP-Link RE305 AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender
Now I m getting 100Mbps speed every corner of my home and I m getting very stable connection and speed.

I tested speeds on both bands.
2.4g 30Mbps to 45Mbps
5g always getting 100Mbps both UP and DOWN

Hi. If possible, get the use of Ethernet (Cat 5e or Cat 6).

If not possible,

Buy another cheap router which can be used as Access Point and connect that to the main router with the ethernet.

If ^ not possible,

Buy a Repeater.

@SINGH30- My primary router gives me fabulous speed in the room it is located (50mbps up and down)- it just fails elsewhere

SO . heres an update, I wired the Cat 5e wire from the primary router and have run it across the terrace to where anpther router will be placed (which is on the way- Im assured two day delivery). The router I purchased is same as the primary router D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router . SO now I basically just reconfigure it into access point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a ethernet cable cat 6 or higher to connect primary modem to secondary router in wan input.
ie. lan output from primary becomes wan input in secondary.
Make sure that you cover sufficient distance via ethernet.

Signals get weak in wifi repeator.
Also try 5G wifi.

I had same problem. When mtnl started giving speeds above 5 mbps, i started feeling difference. The speeds dropped in other rooms.
So had to use ethernet & 5G repeators.

Back