• Thread starter Thread starter ajuravi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,868

ajuravi007

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Sania Mirza's Olympics debut lasted all of 46 minutes. The Indian ace retired with an injury in her first round match against Czech Iveta Benesova, at the Beijing Games on Monday. Sania, who had lost all her three previous matches against Benesova, was trailing 1-6, 1-2 when she quit.

Welcome to rediff.com : The Olympics 2008 Live news

Injured Sania Mirza retires in the first round
11 Aug 2008, 1548 hrs IST,AGENCIES

NEW DELHI: India's top-ranked women tennis player Sania Mirza retired from the first round of women's singles event at the Beijing Olympics against Czech Iveta Benesova.

Sania was trailing 1-6, 1-2 when she retired. The Czech holds a 3-0 record in her previous three meetings, the latest being the last week's Stockholm where the Indian went down in a hard fought three-setter.

Sania has been battling with injury of late. The pull-out also put Sania's participation for the doubles event in doubt.

She will be teaming up with India's No.2 player Sunitha Rao in the doubles. The duo has paired just once in the Fed Cup in Bangkok early this year.

Both of them were instrumental in defeating the Hong Kong pair of Yang Zi-jun and Zhang Ling to ensure that India remain in the same group next year.

India Challenge-India@Beijing-Beijing 2008 Olympics - The Times Of India

yey. the superstars of india.

I did not had any hopes from sania mirza bringing glory to india.......I hope and it would have been if she had participated in Big Boss 2 season rather than participating in Beijing Olympics. In big boss she would have got good name atleast ......... Seriously she needs to change her carrier and profession.........

only tennis player that gave me hope was paes. because he was kind of player who cud defeat anyone i.e. he had capacity.

I had lots of hope in him in singles.........but eventually he truned out to be a good doubles player rather than singles player.......but kudos to him also as he also won us a bronze medal in one olympic......:thumbsup: I hope this that Paes and Bhupathi also bring a medal to india........and i think they will do it for us......:dance:

lolz, is she wud had spend more time on court, rather than in the arms of shahid kapoor, she wud had proceeded to next round at least. She was allways hopeless !

Paes and Bhupathi are goners as well. they did well. and messed up the situation when it was going well for them...now the field is much more competitive. even in doubles. they screwed up india's chances because of personal egos.

Back