• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 1,898

Smh

ISP
Local-
ACT-
AirtelFiber
I bought C6 v4.8 from Amazon AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Router and would probably need a extender mesh setup because of multiple obstacles blocking wifi.

This router is compatible with 'easy mesh' tech which is kinda a new universal standard for mesh tech. More about it TP-Link EasyMesh Devices

One issue is not all range extenders support both wired and wireless backhaul, only RE315 does and is not available currently.

Other option is RE205 Amazon.in which has a ethernet port but limited to 10/100Mbps and only supports wireless backup for easy mesh setup.

So instead of range extender I can get another C6 v4+ or C64 router AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO WiFi Router Both support easymesh tech and should work with wired backhaul, atleast thats what i understood from TP-Link site. But both routers support wireless easy mesh setup.

So to summarize:

RE ethernet port is not gigabit, limited usage as extender, wireless backhaul only for mesh, 2 antennas.

Router has gigabit ports, multiple uses as router & extender, both wired and wireless support for mesh, 4 antennas. More lan ports. Costs 500-700 extra.

P.S. I have not tested the lan cables if they all connect to each other but its present. Worst case i have to use wireless for mesh.

Edit: How to Build an Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers | TP-Link

Last edited:
Getting another router definitely makes sense rather than going for a range extender. When I had checked EasyMesh a year or two back, it said EasyMesh is possible only with a Router + Extender meaning the secondary devices needed to be an Extender. Anyway now they seem to have updated it, so Router + Router is also possible.

However, I would not recommend a wireless mesh. If wired connectivity is possible, that would give the best and consistent performance. Wireless mesh should be the last resort.

Also, I did find another brand providing economical solutions Mercursys, it's also a sub brand of TP-Link, but seems very economical.

The above two unit solution is only 4.7k, supports both wired and wireless mesh. (Still will recommend a wired backhaul 😅)

Reactions: Smh
Well I use a Tenda Routers configured under Universal Repeater with same SSID for all my Routers, I am able to move in the house without any issue as I connect to 5G WiFi, working flawlessly, don’t need a mesh configuration.

Main Router using 2 SSID under 5G, one remains common other SSID to latch to other routers.

Still not sure why need to spend huge amount on mesh devices.

@MrGordon I would prefer wired if possible but not sure how the cat cables are connected to each room so will have to check. And is that mogolix site trustable? On Amazon same products are available at higher price.

Two C64 router usually costs 2100x2. Its a little expensive right now. That will be more economical than these satellites Rs 4700. Any advantages of these satellites over router?

I have done a lot of search and a little confused now.

I think just one satellite/router would solve my issue if I place it at a location where wifi needs to cross a single wall instead of multiple.

@armaan_99 the options I am preferring are actually cheaper alternatives 😬 something like Deco dedicated will be expensive. These mesh system also uses a hidden ssid i think for backend. But instead of working as a repeater and different network, mesh somehow makes device transitioning easy and I think now you can control everything from main router.
I have never used any mesh system yet so not really sure how good it is. I will update if I get one.

But your trick is neat, we can force backend to use 2.4 or 5 by using a different ssid.

Last edited:
@Smh Ah I see. Might be worth the effort to verify if the cables are good and terminate them. I recently did some terminations and its pretty straight forward. I used the Cat6 RJ45 sockets from GM (I had GM face plates), and was able to terminate them without any tools. Cable had already been pulled but remained unterminated.

Yes, Moglix is reliable, I've always seen prices of such products much better in Moglix, perhaps the commission is lower. Their shipping is not that fast, but all are genuine products from genuine resellers/dealers of the product. I have ordered several products including TP-Link APs, switches etc.

No specific advantages other than being a ready made product for mesh, so I felt the configuration might be a bit simpler. Otherwise, whatever you proposed should work well.

But due to the lack of a dedicated radio for backhaul (even the Mecursys product doesn't have it), the performance from the satellites in case of a wireless mesh may not be that great I guess. But if we are talking about 100 - 150 Mbps broadband, it may not matter much. Anyway I don't have hands on experience.

I have same situation GM fittings and cat6 is available but without termination. wait i will upload some pics.

yeah i need more reliability (no packet losses) and coverage than speed.

If i do buy I will pick router as it has a ready made mesh protocol also can function as router if not required.

Last edited:
lHddN1E.jpeg

in this box ACT guys taped it somehow:cautious: and its connected to their box. But the other end I don't know where it goes.

Ev6nXyG.jpeg

All other boxes are like this and unlike the first pic cables are not cut, its in a single piece if that makes sense.

My doubt is if cable in each room terminates at a central location where ACT box is or only one end goes to the main box and other end is connected to all other rooms. @MrGordon

@Smh 🤦‍♂️ at how Act has terminated the cable. I guess, don't touch if it ain't broken. 😅

So based on the images, what I think is happening is. The cable Act has used is coming from outside, and they probably terminated it using the same jugaad at the outside cable duct area. The other cable seems like a single run from that point to the other rooms. It seems like it was pulled for telephone/intercom and not really for ethernet.

So what you could possibly do is

1. If the cable is indeed coming to all rooms and you need a separate AP in each room, you could daisy chain it. Meaning, you cut the wire at the junction, terminate it to a face plate (I wouldn't recommend what Act has done or even directly crimping the the RJ45 connector) using an Cat6 RJ 45 socket. You can replace the TV module and use two RJ 45 modules.
And then in each room add an AP, with both ports/cables connected to the AP's switch/LAN ports.

2. If you need the AP only in one room, cut the wire in that junction box, and terminate the incoming wire ie from the Act junction box. Use that for the AP.

Normally, you need multiple runs of cables from the main junction point. I don't think that conduit will allow that due to lack of space. But you can try and it might be able to pull 1 or 2 more cables if you are lucky. Eitherway, if you need just one AP, you don't need to do that. You can just use the existing cable.

Telephone line cable is different, present in each room and cat 6 is written on the cables shared in above post. I opened one of the telephone socket box but didn't carefully checked if that's also Cat6.

The line is working I have checked it opens act login portal but man what an amazing job they have done. I have not dared to remove the tape 😶‍🌫️

In another apartment I have seen such terrible termination by ACT but they used some sorta plastic beads thing which covered the joints and it was not taped or suspected to corrosion.

I have not seen a good termination by ACT at all. It's like they employ part time electricians.

Edit: curiousity got the best of me. They have manually joined wires like copper wires and applied one layer of tape for each joint. Just crazy how they are running their network. Now it makes sense why little rain can bring their network down.

Last edited:
@Smh Yes yes, I understand that the telephone cable is different. However, normally builders/contractors these days pull Cat5e/6 cable to be used for telephone, there are 4 twisted copper pairs inside, so it becomes an easy choice. The same was done in my flat as well, they have pulled a single run of Cat6 ethernet cable to the bedrooms and put a telephone face plate at each place the cable is passing through. Thankfully they didn't cut and terminate them, so I was able to use them for ethernet itself.

Wow, that's just sad at how Act has terminated the cable. In Bangalore, I am also using Act at the moment, but they have done a good job, instead of using the existing ethernet pull, they have pulled another cable through from the communication duct to the flat telephone junction and has terminated an ethernet jack properly. Decently done.

Eitherway as you have a single run of cable from where the Act cable comes in (I am assuming this is also the location where your main router/wireless AP is installed) which goes to the different rooms. So I think if you terminate the cat6 cable with a rj45 socket (the one one which goes as a module to the face plate) in the room and the main junction, you should be good.

Back