Seems TS will add 34 New channes to TataSky+ Subscriber

• Thread starter Thread starter Kalyan_1980
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 75
  • Views Views 9,950
Are there any channels with MPEG4 currently beamed by TS and to what extent there will be quality difference can be noticed on a 21' normal TV?

Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 is just a compression technology. Mpeg4 can accomodate more channels than Mpeg2. It has nothing to do with picture quality. Picture quality remains the same till they try to compress more channels per transponder. What big tv is boasting about mpeg4 has no relevance.

Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 is just a compression technology. Mpeg4 can accomodate more channels than Mpeg2. It has nothing to do with picture quality. Picture quality remains the same till they try to compress more channels per transponder. What big tv is boasting about mpeg4 has no relevance.

Perfectly correct.
Mpeg4 is just a marketing jargon.

When you will start seeing the difference between Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 is the

DTH Service Provider who uses Mpeg2 has start compressing more to add additional channels with less Transponder Capacity.

DTH Service Provider who uses Mpeg4 normally won't need to start compressing more to accommodate additional channels
so the quality will be maintained for longer period of time.

^^read previous posts to get an idea how picture quality will be better with mpeg4 than mpeg2 if the dth companies wanted it...Compare the quality of kalaignar tv, amritha tv, other channels from sun tv, dish tv, and dd dth. You'll find that that there is better quality in dd because the compression is minimal to none... the more u compress, the more the signal deteriorates, but since mpeg4 is a superior compressor than mpeg2, it will give better picture quality than mpeg2 at the same rate of compression.Hence, mpeg4 will give better picture quality than mpeg2 if the rate or size of compression is the same...Think of it this way - a movie compressed as a 700 Mb mpeg4 xvid avi file will always look better than a 700 Mb mpeg2 file, the source being a 4.3 Gb mpeg2 file.

^^read previous posts to get an idea how picture quality will be better with mpeg4 than mpeg2 if the dth companies wanted it...

Read it correctly. the previous post agrees with what i have said and has actually explained my statement "Picture quality remains the same till they try to compress more channels per transponder"

^^that's why I have mentioned those channels above. If you compare you can find kalaignar and amritha has superior picture quality in dd than in dish or sun. I'm not denying your point.Edited previous post

Think of it this way - a movie compressed as a 700 Mb mpeg4 xvid avi file will always look better than a 700 Mb mpeg2 file, the source being a 4.3 Gb mpeg2 file.

exactly... 700 mb mp4 file is comparable with 1200-1300 mb files encoded with mpeg-2 ...

Service 2333 - added in MPEG4 :dance:
Now its confirmed that, Tata Sky added New channels in MPEG4 Format. :dance:
What is your source?

Back