Settings for dual wan router

• Thread starter Thread starter sukumar_p55
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 9,038

sukumar_p55

ISP
airtel, bsnl
Dear Friends,i connect using airtel 256 unlimited and BSNL home 500. i plan to purchase the Linksys dual wan router RV042 which is capable of balancing the two isps and also give better download speeds while using download managers and torrent files. I would like to know the configuration details of the router from any one using this mode or networking gurus.at present i use the Airtel mostly - the modem is 220BXI and the BSNL during the free time for its superb 2mbps speed - the modem is UT-300R. once i am able to connect with both the isps at the same time i plan to change the bsnl also to the 256 unlimited plan.i have connected the airtel modem to a linksys WRT54GS router in the bridged mode. i did not know about the dual wan router before purchasing this.thanks,Sukumar

Instead of going for all this jhamela why dont u just change ur airtel plan to 512kbps unlimited for Rs. 1499. You'll save a lot of complications and get a much better service.

@sukumar_p55 checked in Linksys web site.Both ISP's may not work together. If one fails the other will take over, so download is not broken. Linksys.com - Products/Business Solutions/VPN Solutions/RV042

The Linksys 10/100 4-Port VPN Router is an advanced Internet-sharing network solution for your small business needs. Like any router, it lets multiple computers in your office share an Internet connection. But the unique dual Internet ports on the 10/100 4-Port VPN Router let you connect a second Internet line as a backup to insure that you're never disconnected. Or, use both Internet ports at the same time, and let the router balance your office's requirements between them for maximum bandwidth efficiency.

Priyoban, the idea in having dual ispa is to have a fallback if one crashes. moreover if you download a torrent file, the download is much faster if you restrict the upload rate especially in a ADSL line like the BSNL while it is not so in a DSL line like the Airtel. In a dual wan router you could port the requests and downloads thereby achieving faster downloads.

@priyoban bad advice. He can buy a new computer for emi of Rs 1499/=( Plus 12% TAXES) within a year or so !@skumar_p55. Airtel is also ADSL. i am using Beetel 220BX ADSL2+modem for both Dataone and Airtel.( only one connection at a time)I tried a dialup and Dataone, in single computer,and only one will be effective. i Idea is good.( you can check the status in the Network connections page)Try the USB port for airtel and ethernet for Dataone.Airtel/Beetel220bi to USBportDataone/ Ut300ru to ethernet port. Linksys router not connected.

Essbebe, i assumed that airtel was dsl as the upload and download speeds are equal. i stand corrected. When Dataone was introduced, i also had Dishnet 512 connection. this was connected thru an USB modem and the Dataone thru the ethernet card. i could download torrents using both lines. the isp which was dialled later was used to download and the older for uploading. fantastic speeds. i am not able to duplicate with the Airtel and Dataone. i have no knowledge about networking and have no explanation

Did you Try the USB port for airtel ( beetel modem ) and ethernet (Ut300r)for Dataone. ?

Yes, i did. no use. only the isp dialed last worked. i suspect it is due to the fact that the airtel connection is an always on one like a cable.

sukumar_p551.Start/Network/ L.A.N how many connections shown ?connected / disconnected.?2. In the computer TCP/IP properties select auto assign IP DNS for each connection. 3. Surf with say Airtel. switch off the modem. beetel ( USB)4. Now does Dataone connection take over ? ( ethernet ut 300r)

Right now as i mentioned earlier i am surfing using Airtel connected thru a wireless router (Linksys). i also have a backup Dataone which connects thru the ethernet card. The Airtel is always on and the connection is not shown in network and neither in the connection tab of internet options of Internet explorer. The Dataone is shown and once this is dialled the Airtel connection is not used. If i disconnect the Dataone then the Airtel wireless takes over. Hope i am not rambling.Anyway my idea in trying a dual wan router is not for backup when 1 isp fails. It is for the combined bandwidth and hopefully faster browsing and downloads. i don't want to go in for 512 speed from a single provider.thanks

Back