Shifting from Aircel to MTNL 3G in Delhi - Need Reviews, Coverage Details, Actual Customer Stories

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
ISP
Reliance Thunder 1099 4 Mbps UL
Been using Aircel for a while now, the GSM and data coverage are pretty much flawless, great pricing, nice plans. The only reason why I want to shift to MTNL 3G is for data speed.I recently purchased an HTC Wildfire (Android Smart Phone) and have also been traveling a lot (mostly within Delhi) but I still require a stable data connection with decent speeds for browsing and tethering with a laptop (I am thinking of this purchase as a substitute from buying a data card or wireless modem such as Tata Photon+ or Reliance NetConnect).So I'm looking for reviews from people who are actually using MTNL 3G in Delhi. How extensive is the coverage? How are the speeds? If there is no 3G coverage, how bad is the fallback GPRS/EDGE network? Are there any black zones in Delhi with no data coverage at all?Any help will be appreciated. I'm looking to buy the 4500 Unlimited plan for 6 months. If the reviews are good, its a great deal @ 750 INR per month.

I am shifting to Delhi this month. Right now I am on Airtel, Karnataka. I am also looking forward to MTNL 3G. Will appreciate some advice.Thanks.

I can say that dont trust MTNL 3G. Its coverage in delhi is just below average. Whenever I travel in different parts of delhi I can see fluctuations in 3g signals and almost 50% of time I see edge signals. Even if you get 3g signal still you wont get more that 1mbps. regarding the 4500 deal, I can say that you should buy it. In delhi you would get 512kbps speed unlimited at 600INR/month. And as compared to wired you are getting atleast double the speed at almost same equal the cost. And Pls pls Pls dont depend on you phone for 3g internet on laptop. 3g is great battery sucker and problem doubles when you have phones like HTC wildfire which has bad battery back up. Unless you get yourself a car charger (if you like to surf on the way) then forgot using your phone as a modem. Have some charging provision for you phone, or buy some decent data card like Huawei UMG 1831.

Wait! Aircel, the GSM and data coverage, flawless :ashamed:Downtime, worst customer support, everything delayed. Expect all such things that comes up in your mind and then go for it :D Risk tou lena padega boss, there is just one thing you can rely upon when going for MTNL and that is LUCK :thumbsup:

Ok, let me now change the question to- what is the cheapest way that I can try out MTNL 3G before switching fulltime using MNP?

Got to nearest sanchar haat(this is fastest way to get you sim activated...I got my sim activates within 20min!!). choose you prepaid sim for 25 Rs. 3G is by default activated on every sim. Insert ur sim and Enjoy 3G!! Thats it...
The charges of Data usage are 1rs/Mb. If you just wanna do testing then I think its affordable.:) otherwise go for Data coupon recharges. for more info on coupons visit this:Dolphin
I think you can try 3G in 50-100Rs (Technically its 25.01 RS:imwink: )

MTNL gives free usage for the first month with its 3G SIM. Just buy the SIM, get it activated, and top up with the FRC. You are set to use. In my experience though I got pathetic speeds of 10kbps on Dolphin.

in my area i am getting speeds ranging from 1-1.2 Mbps (download speed of 120-145 kbps). before committing 4500 bucks, i will advice you to buy an mtnlprepaid sim and recharge with a rs 50 data card (in mtnl data and voice recharge cards are different) which will give you 60MB data free.this should be enough for a few days trial. if you are planning to replace your existing broadband connection with MTNL 3G,you can also do that, provided that you get good download speeds in your area. there is a minor glitch with MTNL 3G though, it gets disconnected after every 1-2 hrs if left unattended(atleast in my case).since i am using it for occasional surfing on a laptop and mobile, it's not a problem for me. but if you like to leave your downloadsunattended overnight, it can become a major hassle.

Yep.. There are a LOT of disconnections with MTNL 3G.. That makes it unusable as a broadband substitute :(

I am testing the speeds by using Nokia E51 as a modem. I connected the phone to my laptop via USB cable. The speed I got is around 380kbps download and 300kbps upload. I have laptop with Windows 7.Will the speed be higher if I use any 3G modem rather than using phone as a modem?

Back