Shifting from Aircel to MTNL 3G in Delhi - Need Reviews, Coverage Details, Actual Customer Stories

I am testing the speeds by using Nokia E51 as a modem. I connected the phone to my laptop via USB cable. The speed I got is around 380kbps download and 300kbps upload. I have laptop with Windows 7.

Will the speed be higher if I use any 3G modem rather than using phone as a modem?

Yes, E51 can not go beyong dl speed of 384 kbps, it's there in there manufacturing details

there is a minor glitch with MTNL 3G though, it gets disconnected after every 1-2 hrs if left unattended(atleast in my case).

since i am using it for occasional surfing on a laptop and mobile, it's not a problem for me. but if you like to leave your downloads

unattended overnight, it can become a major hassle.

On some websites the homepage is auto-refreshed every few minutes. I keep cnbc.com and moneycontrol.com open in my browser all the time and they refresh every 10 minutes. That is sufficient to keep the connection active because inactive connections are auto-disconnected.

You can download the free version of pingplotter and use it to ping any site (say google.com) every 30 seconds and that also does thee trick by keeping the connection active.

As far as download speed is concerned, it is very good where full signal is available. Where signal is not proper, download speed is bad. That is my experience in last few weeks of using Rs 4500 for 6 months unlimited plan.

Thanks for the inputs. Yes, E51 has supports upto 3.6mbps, but for that one has to ENABLE "High Speed Packet Access" setting in tools. Now, E51 network indicator shows 3.5G instead of 3G(when connected) and I get download speeds upto 2mbps.

The problem with the connection is that most of the times download speed gets stuck around 350kbps, even if E51 network indicator displays 3.5G.
Ping is highly variable from 240ms to 1200ms.

At night the connection is getting better :)

On some websites the homepage is auto-refreshed every few minutes. I keep cnbc.com and moneycontrol.com open in my browser all the time and they refresh every 10 minutes. That is sufficient to keep the connection active because inactive connections are auto-disconnected.

You can download the free version of pingplotter and use it to ping any site (say google.com) every 30 seconds and that also does thee trick by keeping the connection active.

As far as download speed is concerned, it is very good where full signal is available. Where signal is not proper, download speed is bad. That is my experience in last few weeks of using Rs 4500 for 6 months unlimited plan.

Where do you live in delhi(east,west,north,south,central), I am looking fwd to buy this 4500 postpaid plan

Where do you live in delhi(east,west,north,south,central), I am looking fwd to buy this 4500 postpaid plan

I am living in Rohini where signal is not stable, so download speed is poor.

My office is in Rajindra Place (near Patel Nagar and Karol Bagh). Here I get full signal and download speed is good on prepaid plan.

Back