Simplenote

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
It's not a new app. But I just switched to it from Keep after trying out OneNote.
Keep has worked well but I can never get used to the shitty user interface.
Tried OneNote but gave up after a day. It has way too many features for my requirement plus the apps are painful to use. Syncing is glitchy.
I used to use Evernote but offline access is a premium feature!

Decided to test out Simplenote because it's from Automattic. Which means that it is unlikely to disappear for a while.

Here are some things I like about it...
It has versioning. Something that I really wanted in Keep. I hate the idea of accidentally modifying a note on the mobile device if I am not careful enough. So versioning helps a lot.
It lets you publicly share a note as a web page. So you can essentially use it as a replacement for Pastebin type websites.
You can share individual notes with others. Keep has this feature. OneNote can only share an entire notebook which is more like a PST file of Outlook. Stupid.

What I don't like...
Typeface selection is not nice.
Lists are not nice as you do not get checkboxes that you can tick.
No support for any media element. Just plain text.
There is no official app for Windows. No Chrome app. There are a bunch of third party apps. Not interested in experimenting with them.
Offline access is again an issue here as there is no official Windows app. I am tempted to use one of the third party app to get this... Would see.

Downloads

I was a user too for a few years. It's desktop application "Resoph Notes" was really good. But over long term use I couldn't help but notice that a few notes keep disappearing randomly. It was getting real annoying. Plus it's mobile app was really bad at editing extremely long text files (~15k words). Tried Evernote, had problem with offline syncing and long files again. At present using a combination of Bittorrent Sync, Notepad++ (PC) and JotterPad (Android). And have kept all my notes (.txt) files in the Dropbox folder for cloud availability. Quite a long drawn out solution but working fine.

Appears to have offline mode. Though usability is pretty bad compared to the web app.

their windows app is a 50mb monster. they could have made a chrome app that worked offline but nope. let's use electron.

While I still use Simplenote for really simple notes, I have moved to notion for complex use cases.

I have realized that I can't keep complex notes so I end up with simplenote every single time 😂

Back