Slow speed with unlimited 749 plan

• Thread starter Thread starter naik_shrey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 8,306

naik_shrey

ISP
Dial-up
Hi friends,I am having MTNL broadband with Unlimited download with speed of 752 at 749 Rs per monthFrom last two weeks I was getting speed of 256 kbps(kilobytes), so I made a complaint to MTNL they told me that it will be solved within few hours. But it got worst, then i got only 100 kbps speed.I once again called them, and they solved the problem today that is after two week.Now in MTNL speed check I am getting 752 kbps as bandwidth but speed is not that much, speed i am getting is less than 100.Is there any problem with my computer or modem?I am having windows 7 Home premium and Sterlite SAM300AX modem.Pls guys help me

In Unlimited plan you will get that much only, 752/8=94Kbytes per second, MTNL provides 2Mbps downloading speed 2048/8=256Kbytes per second for limited users so that their data is over fast and they can put extra usage charges ;) You are presently getting the right speed for your plan and it's 24hrs Unlimited Download, so no tension buddy, enjoy! Unlimited plans are headache free and are the best, MTNL Rocks.:D

94Kbytes per second is the theoretical speed, you will actually get only 752/10 = ~75-80Kbytes/sec. You shouldn't have called MTNL in the first place, you were getting more than you were paying for! :P

Guys my tale is even more painingI had old mtnl Modem which was of D-Link, for some reason the modem started hanging, I complained, it was attended n the modem was replaced. Now I hav a drastic reduction in speed. In 749 unlimited plan where I used to get 160 to 190 KB/s even 200 KB/s with DAP, guys KB/s m serious, now m getting mere 80-84 KB/s. I was complaining madly to MTNL about speed reduction. After looking on this post, I will stop complaining, I got the answer. This New Modem is designed to give this much of speed..MTNL sucks...I will get a cablenet connection where I will get DC Hub for downloading stuffs with gr8 speed

Guys my tale is even more paining
I had old mtnl Modem which was of D-Link, for some reason the modem started hanging, I complained, it was attended n the modem was replaced. Now I hav a drastic reduction in speed. In 749 unlimited plan where I used to get 160 to 190 KB/s even 200 KB/s with DAP, guys KB/s m serious, now m getting mere 80-84 KB/s. I was complaining madly to MTNL about speed reduction. After looking on this post, I will stop complaining, I got the answer. This New Modem is designed to give this much of speed..MTNL sucks...I will get a cablenet connection where I will get DC Hub for downloading stuffs with gr8 speed

Heard that there is some speed issue with MTNL at certain areas of Mumbai. Check with your friends with MTNL whether they are also noticing speed issue.

Guys my tale is even more paining
I had old mtnl Modem which was of D-Link, for some reason the modem started hanging, I complained, it was attended n the modem was replaced. Now I hav a drastic reduction in speed. In 749 unlimited plan where I used to get 160 to 190 KB/s even 200 KB/s with DAP, guys KB/s m serious, now m getting mere 80-84 KB/s. I was complaining madly to MTNL about speed reduction. After looking on this post, I will stop complaining, I got the answer. This New Modem is designed to give this much of speed..MTNL sucks...I will get a cablenet connection where I will get DC Hub for downloading stuffs with gr8 speed

Yes that is paining indeed :P ... The 749 unlimited plan is for 752Kbps speed so the speed u are getting is actually right... its possible ur speed was kept @ 2Mbps by mistake but now they have corrected their mistake... There is nothing wrong with ur modem...

Heard that there is some speed issue with MTNL at certain areas of Mumbai. Check with your friends with MTNL whether they are also noticing speed issue.

will try..but it doesnt look good.. I have complained officially to MTNL n they say tht their speed handling department in prabhadevi will contact me soon..I just saw the tariff plans today n they r charging so high for just mere 50 KB/s more..this is insane..I was shocked to know its calculated this way 752/8..that means if I go for 1 MBPS which is 1000KB/s it will be 1000/8 which is just 125 KB/s download speed...Gr8

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Yes that is paining indeed :P ... The 749 unlimited plan is for 752Kbps speed so the speed u are getting is actually right... its possible ur speed was kept @ 2Mbps by mistake but now they have corrected their mistake... There is nothing wrong with ur modem...
They hav changed the modem. This new modem is working according to them :P...the old modem used to give me gr8 speed but used to hang very much...maybe wasnt able to handle high speed...well watever happens it happens for good

will try..but it doesnt look good.. I have complained officially to MTNL n they say tht their speed handling department in prabhadevi will contact me soon..I just saw the tariff plans today n they r charging so high for just mere 50 KB/s more..this is insane..I was shocked to know its calculated this way 752/8..that means if I go for 1 MBPS which is 1000KB/s it will be 1000/8 which is just 125 KB/s download speed...Gr8

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

They hav changed the modem. This new modem is working according to them :P...the old modem used to give me gr8 speed but used to hang very much...maybe wasnt able to handle high speed...well watever happens it happens for good

I will say this again there is nothing wrong with the modem... even the older ADSL modems could handle speeds upto 8Mbps... Newer ones can handle upto 24Mbps(theoretically)... Here is my theory of what happened... long long ago u were on the limited 2Mbps plan... You made a switch to a lower speed unlimited plan but someone at MTNL screwed up & didnt change ur plan to that lower speed... So u kept on enjoying ur 2Mbps speed with unlimited downloads... Now when ur modem started hanging often u made a complaint to MTNL... Naturally they checked the connection from their side & realized their mistake & corrected it... So knowingly or unknowingly u brought this upon urself :P ... BTW I pay Rs 250/mo more than u i.e Rs 999/mo & get 1 Mbps unlimited... That is a Max download speed of 125KB/s ...I will say this again however much u complain to MTNL u are not gonna get more than 80KB/s download speed on ur Rs 749 plan becoz that is actually the correct speed that u should be getting...

PS if u are gonna switch to a cablewalla for internet switch to Fivenet as they have good 5-10 Mbps unlimited plans...

PSS Another option is to switch to reliance if it is available in ur area...

I will say this again there is nothing wrong with the modem... even the older ADSL modems could handle speeds upto 8Mbps... Newer ones can handle upto 24Mbps(theoretically)... Here is my theory of what happened... long long ago u were on the limited 2Mbps plan... You made a switch to a lower speed unlimited plan but someone at MTNL screwed up & didnt change ur plan to that lower speed... So u kept on enjoying ur 2Mbps speed with unlimited downloads... Now when ur modem started hanging often u made a complaint to MTNL... Naturally they checked the connection from their side & realized their mistake & corrected it... So knowingly or unknowingly u brought this upon urself :P ... BTW I pay Rs 250/mo more than u i.e Rs 999/mo & get 1 Mbps unlimited... That is a Max download speed of 125KB/s ...I will say this again however much u complain to MTNL u are not gonna get more than 80KB/s download speed on ur Rs 749 plan becoz that is actually the correct speed that u should be getting...

PS if u are gonna switch to a cablewalla for internet switch to Fivenet as they have good 5-10 Mbps unlimited plans...

LOLLLLLLL....ABSOLUTELY Right..AWESOME...this is wat happened...i switched...will search for good isp...as i hav TIVIX media player n i dload bluray movies for viewing on my 42 inch Panasonic plasma...I m having a heartache since my speed got super low...well will go for another isp as u said raja 999 for 125 kbps just 45kbps more will not help me....really thanks :-)

I was shocked to know its calculated this way 752/8..that means if I go for 1 MBPS which is 1000KB/s it will be 1000/8 which is just 125 KB/s download speed...Gr8

This calculation is universal, no matter which ISP you use.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

You hit the nail on the head :D

Back