Slow upload speed and frequently disconnecting

• Thread starter Thread starter Kanav Kapoor
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 6,429
ISP
BSNL
15 days back, i shifted from jammu to mohali sector 71 for my studies and right away opted for BSNL broadband(Plan 950) as i have been using BSNL broadband from last 5 years.
Last week, a guy from BSNL came and configured my connection. By lookin at the modem stats he told me that my speed is locked at 2mbps and my line strength is vry weak, so he would get my line checked. But nothing changed, even after a week.
My download speed was around 100kBps and my upload speed was around 8-10kBps. So i knew i cannot do video chatting with that kind of upload speed
Yesterday i registered a complaint at 1504 and got a msg that complaint has been registered. Today i got a messege again that my complaint has been resolved. I restarted my router and rechecked the stats.
Following were my stats:
1. Current rate
Downstream: 3999 kbps
Upstream: 765 kbps
2. Max rate
Downstream: 4340 kbps
Upstream: 744 kbps
3. SNR margin
Downstream: 6
Upstream: 10
4. Line Attenuation:
Downstream:29
Upstream: 42
By lookin at current downstream rate i assumed that my download speed is increased. I downloaded a file and was getting an average speed of 380kBps. I uploaded a file and got an average upload speed of 55kBps.
So i thought everything is improving now, but then the connection disconnected and the stats refreshed. Here are the new stats:

1. Current rate
Downstream: 2984 kbps
Upstream: 117 kbps
2. Max rate
Downstream: 4340 kbps
Upstream: 141 kbps
3. SNR margin
Downstream: 6
Upstream: 6.7
4. Line Attenuation:
Downstream:50.8
Upstream: 34.6
Upload speed was again 8-10 kBps and download speed was around 200 kBps.Now it frequently disconnects and stats are new every time. Sometimes my download current rate shows 3980 kBps and sometome it is down to 2430. Sometimes upload current rate is 300 and sometimes 100. So i have few queries:
a. I read somewhere that SNR margin should be high and Line attenuation should be low. So what does my current stats reflect?
b. Is my profile still locked at 2 mbps?
c. I have already registered complaint at 1504(which they marked as resolved without checking) and have also talked to JE by phone. He told me that line is okay. So what should i do now?
Edit: I am using TP-Link TD-W8968 modem-router, which i have bought 2 months back. I have used it with BSNL broadband in Jammu and it works fine there.

Line quality seems to be awful... :o

Fill and submit the complaint form from my or x720's sig.
How old is your router btw? Interestingly, i just bought the modem router you've been using.. And it really improved my stats. So your line's probably at fault here. Get it changed/fixed. And do fill up that form..

soroccoheaven said:
@kanav change you modulation to gdmt only in your modem you will get stability with good snr.
It didn't help as well..still snr margin around 9..
Manish24 said:
Fill and submit the complaint form from my or x720's sig.How old is your router btw? Interestingly, i just bought the modem router you've been using.. And it really improved my stats. So your line's probably at fault here. Get it changed/fixed. And do fill up that form..
It's just 2 months old....

Update:
I registered a complaint via the form mentioned above. Lodged a complaint on 1504 as well.
Today, a guy from BSNL came and told me that he already know what the problem is. He said that the line coming, from exchange to our sector, is faulty. Everyone in locality is facing problem. He said that he would remind them again.
Then i got a call from a BSNL lady and she said my line is working fine now. I told her that there is still no improvement in the SNR margin and line coming from exchange is faulty. She disconnected the phone.
I dont know what to do now :(

Back