Slow upload speed on Laptop but fine on Mobile

Facing a weird issue.

On laptop I get close to 100mbps upload speed on servers close to me in Delhi-NCR. But when I test speed on out of country servers my upload doesn't go above 7 mbps, even servers in india that are at a distance in south gives less upload speed. I have tried connecting my laptop using 2.4Ghz wifi, 5ghz wifi and also LAN. BUT on my mobile which only supports 2.4ghz I easily get close to 40-50mbps upload speed on almost all servers. I have another laptop and that one too has this same upload issue.

I mean looks at this:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Here good upload speed on indian servers:
Upload speed is full on servers close to me in Delhi-NCR but on servers in south upload speed is less. Again this issue is only on laptop. On mobile these servers in bangalore and chennai give 40mbps+ speed (max supported by 2.4ghz)

Source

Source

Source

Source

Last edited:
Update: Restarted laptop in safe mode and upload speeds are better, not as good as on mobile but way way better than before. I wonder whats on my laptop thats causing this problem - only for those servers that are far from me, nearby servers give good speeds. VERY WERID!!

Check if your antivirus is choking the speed.
You might need to uninstall to check if, in normal mode, you don't get the speed.
In my case, I have Bitdefender TS installed and it chokes fast.com speed test. I never get more than 10Mbps on a 100Mbps connection.

If you have linux or macOS compare with their results. I have similar issues on my ISP. I get full upload speed on my local ISP server but when I check on any other servers (even the ISP's own), upload speed is poor[ON WINDOWS]. But when I test on my phone or Linux, speeds are as per my plan.

Check if your antivirus is choking the speed.
You might need to uninstall to check if, in normal mode, you don't get the speed.
In my case, I have Bitdefender TS installed and it chokes fast.com speed test. I never get more than 10Mbps on a 100Mbps connection.
Dont have any antivirus, only the one that comes with windows - defender or something...but still isn't it super weird that for some reason only speed on servers that are far away from me is getting affected, servers close to me give me full upload speed, (that too only on laptop, mobile speeds are fine). HOw can it even happen?

If you have linux or macOS compare with their results. I have similar issues on my ISP. I get full upload speed on my local ISP server but when I check on any other servers (even the ISP's own), upload speed is poor[ON WINDOWS]. But when I test on my phone or Linux, speeds are as per my plan.
Hmm will try to get linux... but I am sure they will give me full speed. it is something with the windows on both laptops (one has win 10 and other has win 7) that is causing this issue. No antivirus installed on them both.

Hmm will try to get linux... but I am sure they will give me full speed. it is something with the windows on both laptops (one has win 10 and other has win 7) that is causing this issue. No antivirus installed on them both.
I know that it's a windows specific issue as I've test on 4 different laptops, all have poor uploads. But it could be an issue on your ISP side, if possible contact them.

Finally figured out the issue. I had an old 2016 version of Networx (bandwidth monitoring tool) installed. I didnt update it because that version was the last free version of this tool. For some reason it was throttling my upload speed. Removing it has fixed the problem.

Back