• Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 4,598

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So... As most of you would know that I have two connections at my place right now BSNL and Reliance. Currently I have to change the ethernet cable when Reliance goes down to switch to BSNL. Wanted to know that if there is a switch like device that I can use to make it slightly more convenient. Must be sounding stupid. I am not aiming to merge the two connections. I still want to run one of them at one time. Just need a flip button thing thing that lets me switch without changing the wire at the back of the PC. :

Yes, I am kind of lazy that way.

Buy a switch and keep it on the desk?

Upvote 0
How does it work? I would need to attach and remove cables when needed? coz there seems to be no button that I can use to switch between two wan cables :|

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
chromaniac said:
Is this what I am looking for?

D-Link 5-Port 10/100 Desktop Switch Network Switch - D-Link: Flipkart.com

I just realized that switching to BSNL is also needed for wireless printing and syncing with the phone. Doing it over the internet is incredibly slow.

chromaniac said:
How does it work? I would need to attach and remove cables when needed? coz there seems to be no button that I can use to switch between two wan cables :|

This should work all right. You need to plug the 2 ethernet cables coming from BSNL + Reliance to it and a 3rd cable that goes from this Switch to you PC.
Then no need to switch your cables just keep your BSNL & Reliance connections on different subnets like Bsnl on 192.168.1.x and Reliance on 192.168.2.x.
Then a simple freeware software or Batch script can be used to switch between 2 different subnets. I use this - http://www.netsetman.com/ for 1 click switching.
Batch Script example -
This changes the IP address and Default Gateway:
netsh int ip set address "local area connection" static 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
This changes DNS:
netsh int ip set dns "local area connection" static 192.168.1.1 primary
If you want no hassle then I guess the above listed manual switch is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Back