• Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 4,598

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So... As most of you would know that I have two connections at my place right now BSNL and Reliance. Currently I have to change the ethernet cable when Reliance goes down to switch to BSNL. Wanted to know that if there is a switch like device that I can use to make it slightly more convenient. Must be sounding stupid. I am not aiming to merge the two connections. I still want to run one of them at one time. Just need a flip button thing thing that lets me switch without changing the wire at the back of the PC. :

Yes, I am kind of lazy that way.

Other option is to get 1 additional LAN card. So you have total 2 LAN cards in your PC
Configure reliance on 1 and BSNL on 2nd.
Then use Enable/Disable option of LAN cards to activate/de-activate whichever u want.
You wont even have to get up from your chair!!! :D
No scripts nothing!

Upvote 0
Subnet Mask is supposed to be 255.255.255.0 right? I cannot change Reliance modem backend. It is using 255.255.254.0 for Subnet Mask. I assume BSNL would use the default value which is 255.255.255.0?

Upvote 0
^^ Interesting- 255.0 means that only hosts with one subnet e.g. 254 ips in 1.x will work, where 254.0 in subnet would mean 512 hosts in any 2 consecutive subnets e.g. 1.x and 2.x both will be working on reliance.

Hence Bsnl and reliance would need to be configured 2 subnet apart e.g reliance on 1.x then Bsnl on 3.x. This is applicable if both are using same ip class 192.x.x.x. Haven't used reliance so not much idea how their modem assigns internal ips.

Upvote 0
Hehe - just use the software netsetman and configure it as your system is configured currently assuming you have static ip on your network.

Networking is the thing which either you understand completely or else everything will go over and above your head.

Upvote 0
I wonder if I can find the ethernet switch manual thing locally. AliExpress is going to take a long time :D

Upvote 0
Your local computer guy should be able to fetch it for you, these things must be selling in Nehru place atleast assuming the guy gets his stuff from NP.

Upvote 0
Right. Would call my hardware guy today... Though it would be very hard to explain to him what I want :|
By locally I meant an online store here in India :D Why aren't these things easily available locally!

Upvote 0

Back