Sprint knows what unlimited means... Airtel does not.

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 6,798

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
pretty amazing initiative from the company. would be interesting to see sunil mittal in an advertising defending fair usage policy someday.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

from what i see this is a big gamble on sprint's part. their CEO talks about an unlimited plan that truly has no limits. on national television! this is pretty amazing. i am impressed.

Last edited:
...as am I. {switches thinking cap on}

After going all out for this retarded 'Fair Usage Policy' bullshit, it'll be a cold day in hell before Mittal comes and defends this decision on National TV :)

too bad that the indian market has not evolved so much that these things becomes a prestige issue for the companies. the unofficial cartels that have been formed amongst the telecom players in india is hurting the consumer and the consumer market badly.

Sprint is doing it more as a means to win back customer satisfaction. They were down in the ditches and people would buy none of their 'unlimited' data plans comparison vis a vis ATT and VZ. Also with a pretty small (and dissastisfied) customer base, they really need to 'stand out'

of course... with verizon getting the iPhone they have solid problems in the US market.

but the fact remains, they would be in a real big PR mess if their discontinue unlimited plans in the near future.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

verizon is pretty close to discontinuing their unlimited plans for iphone 4 and other smartphones. so this is good timing from them.

Well, Airtel is limiting US because they got limited resources.... If they don't limit us people like me and you, (who know the real power of internet), we will use internet so much that others who uses it just to show off or for entertainment or for the sake of saying that "we got internet at home" will suffer with bad quality of internet... Sorry if my post seems defending Airtel but by all means I am not doing that... Airtel is heavily relying on that user base who get internet to tell their neighbor and friends that they have internet and I got a speed of xx mbps..... That is why Airtel have such crappy FUP limit... These users will not cross that image and will pay happily 1000 bucks to airtel and will say Airtel is providing cheap service.... :-) But they forgot that these users really trust word of mouth from people like us who are tech savvy, the day when MG launches Hayai will be end of airtel and their userbase whether it's we who wants bandwidth or those who don't .... I hope MG is reading this :-)

Well, Airtel is limiting US because they got limited resources....

Really? You call having more International capacity than Tata and Reliance combined (over 20Tbit/s) limited?

If they don't limit us people like me and you, (who know the real power of internet), we will use internet so much that others who uses it just to show off or for entertainment or for the sake of saying that "we got internet at home" will suffer with bad quality of internet...

Sorry if my post seems defending Airtel but by all means I am not doing that... Airtel is heavily relying on that user base who get internet to tell their neighbor and friends that they have internet and I got a speed of xx mbps..... That is why Airtel have such crappy FUP limit...

These users will not cross that image and will pay happily 1000 bucks to airtel and will say Airtel is providing cheap service.... :-)

But they forgot that these users really trust word of mouth from people like us who are tech savvy, the day when MG launches Hayai will be end of airtel and their userbase whether it's we who wants bandwidth or those who don't ....

I hope MG is reading this :-)

The only thing I have to do is not fall in to the trap of providing cheap unlimited plans and I should be fine.

If they don't limit us people like me and you, (who know the real power of internet), we will use internet so much that others who uses it just to show off or for entertainment or for the sake of saying that "we got internet at home" will suffer with bad quality of internet...
This is the fallacy they would like us to believe. It's an open secret that Airtel only uses a fraction of it's total capacity, and tries to sell this b.s. argument that heavy downloaders are spoiling it for everyone else. Fact is that the company seems more at ease spending crores on advertising agencies to come up with new promotions and shitty logos, than to try and improve their services and infrastructure, and enhance the user experience. We Indians have such an ingrained sense of every resource being scarce that we believe it. It's a bit like the scam about tonnes and tonnes of food grain rotting in warehouses, while the average Indian cannot get two decent meals a day. Sad part is that not only has their greed led to a terrible taste in the mouths of broadband users, but it hasn't even helped investors. Airtel's shares are in the gutter. I invested a fair amount of money in them back when they were a good company far surpassing others. Now those shares aren't worth a third of what they were before. And whether the sensex goes up or down, their share values seem to only be going down. Tragic how such a good service provider has crumbled.

Also, in the spirit of the OP's post, here's the dictionary definition of unlimited:
un·lim·it·ed  [uhn-lim-i-tid] –adjective
1.not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
2.boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
3.without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

Back