Strange problem with WiFi on WA3002G4

• Thread starter Thread starter techseeker
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 14,623

techseeker

ISP
BSNL
Hi All,I got this modem a few days back and fighting with this very odd problem. I have been through a lot number of posts on this forum and tried to fix myself but unfortunately did not find success yet. This problem uncannily also resembles exactly the problem reported by a user on linuxforums.org still unresolved.PROBLEM:Connect the laptop via LAN cable to modem goto 192.168.1.1 and do all the configurations of PPPoE in the normal way ,then goto wireless section , I did not change the SSID of default value UTStarcom , then in security I chose WPA-PSK gave it a ten digit number and associated was TKIP.Then save reboot , the wireless now gets connected and shows as connected in wireless network manager window. Very good.But now I switch off the laptop , switch off the modem ,disconnect the LAN cable and all. NOW -After sometime I switch on the modem and LEDs for DSL, Internet and WLAN are glowing.I siwtch on the Laptop , the wireless switch on the Laptop is definitely ON and I expect that atleast when I refresh the list of available wireless aces points ,I should be able to see the UTStarcom ,select it and try to connect it by typing the WPA-PSK which I saved . BUT Unfortunately the list is blank and it shows something like 'no wireless networks found in range'.Then the strange part I connect the LAN cable again between modem and laptop goto wireless secutiry and hit save/apply and then it comes in range showing as WPA secure wireless network and then it gets connected. I also then still goto management and then save/reboot .But again if I now switch off/on both and remove the LAN cable AGAIN I need to repeat the cycle .This modem was changed yesterday with a new piece ,I see the same problem.Funny part : If in security I go and change it open "which is a totally unacceptable part " and then if I switch off/on then I do not face this problem . I have really tried several permutation combination stuff from the posts but to no avail . Please help me this kind of always having to save wifi security settings everytime I siwtch on is not liveable and hence requesting experts to help out here.OS : Windows XP ,SP3Router/ Modem : UTStarcom WA3002G4DHCP enabled on laptop.DHCP settings on modem too are default and are enabled.Wireline use is perfect and no issuesEverytime after I save wirless security and then disconnects the cable the wireless after that lives on and continues but if I switch off both and switch on wireless though WLAN shows ON ,it is not detectable on Laptop AS WELL AS on mobile.Hope I have provided the details.Thanks in Advance!!

Ya ,From other posts I had already seen this and have done the same .But unfortunately to no avail . And WEP I can try but it WPA-PSK is the recommended one right ? And it is much more safer than WEP. Any other leads?

Ya ,From other posts I had already seen this and have done the same .But unfortunately to no avail . And WEP I can try but it WPA-PSK is the recommended one right ? And it is much more safer than WEP. Any other leads?

It is better to have some security code .
WEP :This is also being tried to pinpoint the fault.

In your network how many other secured/unsecured
wireless networks you see.

YOU can enter the MAC identity of your systems in the wifi router .

Sorry Folks, could not reply earlier .So well for WEP ,I went to wireless security and 128 bit did not work but for 64 bit I put in all the 4 5character ASCII keys and index of reference was kept to 1.And then from network connections went to the properties of wireless connection and configured WEP there too and gave the key that corresponded to index 1.Result : Yes without LAN cable it connects wireless after bootup .But unstable so drops after say 5 minutes and sometimes also gave me limited or no connectivity.I do not see any other wireless networks secured or unsecured.Also I was neglecting one small difference which may be a key between the chennai site configuration example of WA3002G4 and what appears on my 192.168.1.1Board ID: 96338W2 Software Version: 3.12L.BSNL_01.A2pB023k.d20k_rc2 Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.37-12.1 Wireless Driver Version: 4.170.16.0.cpe2.1sd1 This is different from the first page screen shot shown there and also in my case when I go to configure the WAN apart from VPI & VCI I see something on Port [0-3] which has a default value of 0 .Now I asked the BSNL guy too and he said to leave it at default so mine like the screen shots is not VPI/VCI :0/35 but it is Port/ VPI /VCI :0/0/35 ... Can this port thing make a difference to Wireless security stuff . And also what is - Enable Fullcone NAT ? Default is unchecked ,I keep it like that ?Thanks Guys in advance

Power LED glows consistently , Not at all far away from router and signal strength is pretty good , the router is 802.11g so it's max limit according to config will be 54 M and no issues with signal strength.

And actually checked out UTStarcom site and the data specs at http://www.utstar.com/Document_Library/0049.pdf clearly shows that WEP is the only mention on security protocols and there is no mention of WPA or WPA2.

I am tired of this spooky situation where the modem connection on WEP gets established when I switch on but keeps on dropping frequently and very freaky - sorry not able to copy paste screenshots into this message (silly question - tell me how I can paste screenshots into this message box so that you guys can see it ,just through attachments??).
It shows the red cross on the radiating compter icon on the lower left corner but able to access net. I am really getting crazy with these unperforming BSNL modems .

Guys any tips for making net conn. stabler and proper ,keeps on dropping .
Thanks in advance , really appreciate active reading by you superprash & essbebe . And sorry for spooking you guys with such odd observations but the reality is I myself am growing weary after all the time I have spent researching on this and not being able to solve it ..

Thanks again folks ....office days going long and hard and hence taking time to reply but will keep you posted ..and keep following your replies ...

----------

Just to avoid ambiguity in my last update above .....
"It shows the red cross on the radiating compter icon on the lower left corner but able to access net. " -- This happens when the connections is dying down . So as a part of my digging ,I will connect and wait to see this red cross signifying disconnection appear, immediately I attempt to open another site it opens ..say now 4 minutes pass I try to open another one ...it fails and then I see the connection has really died out.

Problem : Security key not saved.Did you go to Management and click "Save Reboot" again ?Follow all the steps given at the end in Chennai web site.2. Start Network ?Wireless LANPropertiesNetwork page.At the bottom select both.a) when connected ......b) limited or no connectivity. 3. Just checkingPost ipconfig /all dataStart RUN Type cmd type ipconfig /all.4.In Your modem Statistics ADSL if Mod mode is adsl2 +change it to GDMT ( dsl menu uncheck adsl2 +)5. If there is a menu item client TR-069 under management disable it. ALSO "soap"NOT USED BY bsnl>6. FEEDBACK

Hi Essbebe,Management :Reboot --> definitely done that every time I did a change.2. Already checked .But around 40 minutes back I did something which has improved stuff .Need to keep on monitoring for the next day or 2 and see how it goes and then if things go wrong I will go to steps 3 to 6.Believe me where for last 2 days even after with WEP I got successful in establishing the wireless connection at least but for the last 2 days conn. would definitely drop every 5/10 minutes . Amazingly for last 45 minutes after my change it has survived and is going good. This is what I did ,the moment I saw all those stupid stuff happening as I updated in my last update and also where it should have been 192.168.1.x it was becoming 169....., I strongly suspected that wireless network configured in my preferred networks list pointing to the SSID of the BSNL connection may have got corrupted .So I removed it and reconstructed this wireless conection by giving the same SSID of BSNL ,network authentication type ,data encryption method ,network key and confirm network key entries and then saved it as the connections and Voila after this the connection connected and has stayed up.And yes even after ROUTER STOP/RESTART it is connecting and staying up . Looks like and I hope it stays this way - then my problem will stand resolved . Hope my updates will help in contributing a droplet of knowledge to this wonderful forum which I see is doing good work .And seen most of your and superprash updates on several posts and I really appreciate them .Thanks

Back