Strange problem with WiFi on WA3002G4

• Thread starter Thread starter techseeker
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 14,623
Yup I think I can now safely confirm that the issue is resolved.Funny I came up with a thread and so many facts and investigations and finally I post the solution to the issue .:happy:Anyways the questions that I got from others will go increasing my repository of probes for any future issues I face.This was an interesting issue and would leave it to admin and other guys to see how this thread can be preserved . So will this thread be rated and I am new to such forums as this and how does it work .Just curious to know that's it.Thanks

Hi techseeker,

I have the same modem and face the same problem. Can you please help how you solve this problem in detail as I could not able to make it out by your post. by the way me too from bangalore

Thanks for the help
you can also mail at [email protected]

@harishbabu

1.In your wireless modem, first try to connect
without any Security key.
2. Then try a WEP security key.

3. Say you name your WIFI connection "Harish"
(if you had changed the ssid from default . may be BSNL or utstar)
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/changessid.htm
Start Network.
View available wireless network.
You Network should appear.

When you try to connect
You will be asked to enter the WEP key.

Please see this post recently added .

Chennai website (1) and (2 ) and the Blog (7)
gives detailed instructions with screen shots etc
about Wireless settings.
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/50052-utstar-wa3002-g4-vade-mecum-quick-reference/#post331246

Feedback.

Hi essbebe, thank you for the quick response, I tried everything what you told but no use I face the same problem as "techseeker". And my is the new version modem, which is same as tehcseeker explained earlier.Any help to solve the problem is highly appreciated Thanks againHarish PROBLEM:Connect the laptop via LAN cable to modem goto 192.168.1.1 and do all the configurations of PPPoE in the normal way ,then goto wireless section , I did not change the SSID of default value UTStarcom , then in security I chose WPA-PSK gave it a ten digit number and associated was TKIP.Then save reboot , the wireless now gets connected and shows as connected in wireless network manager window. Very good.But now I switch off the laptop , switch off the modem ,disconnect the LAN cable and all. NOW -After sometime I switch on the modem and LEDs for DSL, Internet and WLAN are glowing.I siwtch on the Laptop , the wireless switch on the Laptop is definitely ON and I expect that atleast when I refresh the list of available wireless aces points ,I should be able to see the UTStarcom ,select it and try to connect it by typing the WPA-PSK which I saved . BUT Unfortunately the list is blank and it shows something like 'no wireless networks found in range'.Then the strange part I connect the LAN cable again between modem and laptop goto wireless secutiry and hit save/apply and then it comes in range showing as WPA secure wireless network and then it gets connected. I also then still goto management and then save/reboot .But again if I now switch off/on both and remove the LAN cable AGAIN I need to repeat the cycle .This modem was changed yesterday with a new piece ,I see the same problem.Funny part : If in security I go and change it open "which is a totally unacceptable part " and then if I switch off/on then I do not face this problem .

Try this:Start /Network / view all connectionsSelect Wireless LAnPropertiesNetwork settings page.On top click Wireless settingsAdvanced.enable " Use Windows to configure my wireless network setting"Also see Available networks preferred Networks option/s OK. Para two :"same page Wireless network connection Properties" Click on top against wlan card. connect using .... "configure" .............. click "Advanced"Select SSID .( Note present option : if half dulpex mode is selected try ssid ))Save apply Ok. Did you mention your wLAN card details ? Feedback.

Hi Thanks for the quick reply, my wireless connection is working good now, what I did is I reset the modem by using re set botton and re configured the modem, while configuring the wireless setting, I did not change the default SSID and only changed the security setting (WPA-PSK pin). And after which my Wlan is working good, and I no need to save and reboot my modem everytime to activate my wireless connection. My only concern is the I need to confirm that my security code is working good, and no else access it. As before this one of my next door person used to access my connection, because of the i got a huge bills for broadband usage for past few months. I guess for this i need one more laptop to see weather i security is working or can you suggest me any other way I can check the same. Note: I don't want to change anything in my modem now as it is working good.By the way sorry for the late response as I was held up with some personal workharish

I was reading this thread with interest and found members using WPA-PSK. If your modem/router supports it then I would suggest that you shift to WPA-PSK2 which is much better. Win XP SP2 does not support by default support this standard but has provided a patch for the same (KB893357), which has to be installed.
For more info see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/wireless.mspx

Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security on a Windows XP SP2-based computer

Download details: Update for Windows XP (KB893357)

Please remember your OS will be checked for authentication before downloading this patch from the Windows site. That is you have to have a legal copy of the OS.

You can also download this patch from

This Windows XP SP2 hotfix Downloaded from Windows XP WPA2 Hot Fix KB893357 | Patches & Drivers Download | PC World

This Windows XP SP2 hotfix installer will upgrade any XP computer to add support for "WPA2," a tough encryption standard for 802.11b/g wireless networks. In order to use WPA2, however, you may also need to update the driver for your wireless card, and to upgrade the firmware in your wireless gateway.

This lazy WLAN switch was a real pain in the a**. Finally BSNL has posted a firmware update solution. You can visit: BSNL Motive and download the UTFwUploaderApp.exe and do the firmware update. For those who want the firmware image I can post it here if needed.. :thumb:

Back