Stupid and cheap Bluetooth Dongle

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
ISP
Reliance Thunder 1099 4 Mbps UL
I have this stupid chinese bluetooth dongle, which came with a drivers CD for Windows only. How do I get it to work in Linux (PCLinuxOS specifically)?

Is it listed in : Bluetooth device features and revision information

If it is, then install bluez-utils.

Restart PC [OR run /etc/init.d/bluez-utils restart]

and then run lsusb

it should list your dongle.

^
Dude, I think you didn't read the title. It's a cheap, "200 Rs. wala, roadside" bluetooth dongle. Anyway, I tried your thingy. Heres the output -

Code:
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1131:1001 Integrated System Solution Corp. KY-BT100 Bluetooth AdapterBus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Even if it is listed here, how do I use it to transfer files from/to my phone?

Well road side guy does not make Chipset in the dongle... and looks like this chipset is supported. Now you can use command line to transfer files like any obex device. "gnome-obex-send" should take care of things if you prefer GUI.

Looks like the good brands of bluetooth dongles, have been chased out of the market, due to a flood of these cheap chinese dongles.

In any case, to get a decent one, you should make sure its supported by XP's own bluetooth stack (if thats satisfied, all else works well, including application support on windows & linux). Just for the sake of info, one of the better brands which has been serving well, is X-Micro (costed 1.5k 2 yrs ago)

Apoorv, whats the name of the dongle. Rs.200 aur 2000 bux mein kaafi difference hai! So i'd also like to buy one if its come so cheap.

Back