Sun direct channels are in mono

• Thread starter Thread starter prasadji
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 7,606
It is to Channel providers & not DTH operators to be blamed. Earlier when Analog cable was used, from that time all channel broadcasted were in mono audio as then there was no option to transmit stereo Audio. Now that we have digital mediums like DTH, IPTV & CAS, channel providers should upgrade their source to provide stereo.
About DTH providers, its minimum requirement and any equipment used from broadcast headend to STB's all support Stereo, but if the channel source is MONO, from where can DTH operator provide Stereo (I guess but they can claim Stereo as they have technical capability of doing so). And replacing any stereo device to mono may save very little amount (= negligble) for DTH operator

Most of the shop guys in India as well as the Indian people have either less or no idea about stereo sound.And all our TVs are mono.This situation has been exploited by the DTH service providers to give mono sound.I have my own doubt if the transmission by the various channels are in stereo.
I am a bit happy as the Australian Networks have some superb programs like "The Great Outdoors" which has real digital stereo sound in addition to DVD quality picture.
The fact that Tata Sky and Dish TV also have mono sound suggest that the various Indian channels must be responsible for the mono sound -not the DTH providers. If DTH provider is responsible, how come that Australian network and DW are in stereo in Sun direct?
It is time that agencies like TRAI find out what is happening and set right the situation. But who cares in India for quality.

No it is not the channels. I live in Doha, Qatar. i ahve suscribed to Pehla which is a DTH in middle east. I get all indian channels in stereo sound and DVD quality. I have bose 5.1 speakers and an LCD so I can confirm that Its not the channels its the DTH companies. And even Reliance Big TV is stereo and DVD

How to evaluate the broadcasts?In FM radio sets, a special lamp will light if the broadcast is in stereo. You are advised to switch to mono if the signal to noise ratio is low or the sound is bad. Unless the signal is sampled at the input stage, it is difficult to judge, just from the speakers, whether it is stereo or not. The amplifier can fudge the signal to give stereo effect.And what is dvd quality and how to judge from the picture? Even with genuine dvds and players, the picture hangs, is jumpy and rainy. What is the user verifiable measure?

How to evaluate the broadcasts?

In FM radio sets, a special lamp will light if the broadcast is in stereo. You are advised to switch to mono if the signal to noise ratio is low or the sound is bad. Unless the signal is sampled at the input stage, it is difficult to judge, just from the speakers, whether it is stereo or not. The amplifier can fudge the signal to give stereo effect.

And what is dvd quality and how to judge from the picture? Even with genuine dvds and players, the picture hangs, is jumpy and rainy. What is the user verifiable measure?

Some TV/audio systems identify audio from left/right A/V as stereo even if it is mono.

Some TV/audio systems identify audio from left/right A/V as stereo even if it is mono.

Some audio amps recommend connnecting mono audio input (line in) to the left 'audio in' connector to get both speakers working. The amp will then feed both speakers. This is pseudo stereo.

back to the original question. Which channels are true stereo?

Some movies in Star Movies, Zee Studio I observed are stereo in hathway digital cable. But when observed the same in TS no stereo effects are found.

No it is not the channels. I live in Doha, Qatar. i ahve suscribed to Pehla which is a DTH in middle east. I get all indian channels in stereo sound and DVD quality. I have bose 5.1 speakers and an LCD so I can confirm that Its not the channels its the DTH companies. And even Reliance Big TV is stereo and DVD

I checked few Cband channels on my friend's house and they sound in mono :confused: It is not true stereo. Sound just comes from both speakers. Few channels increase the Treble just to fool us that it sounds CD quality. Lot of differeance when hearing songs from a CD and the same songs from TV.

With tvs (and amps) having surround sound settings, part of the left signal is phase shifted by 180 deg and fed to the right (same for the right signal) to have stereo effect. This phase shifting sort of disorients you and you will not be able to locate where the sound is coming from.Will appreciate if forum members work hard to identify which channels are true stereo for all dth providers.

Some movies in Star Movies, Zee Studio I observed are stereo in hathway digital cable. But when observed the same in TS no stereo effects are found.

In sundirect we get Australian network, star movies, hbo, zee studio in stereo mode.

I checked few Cband channels on my friend's house and they sound in mono :confused: It is not true stereo. Sound just comes from both speakers. Few channels increase the Treble just to fool us that it sounds CD quality. Lot of differeance when hearing songs from a CD and the same songs from TV.

I do not agree. My Bose amp and speakers pick up the signal very well. It feels like cinema. Maybe its because I had to sync the bose with my receiver. But trust me its amazing quality. But I am using an expensive Humax receiver. When i bought it its price was 1500QR, which is 17000RS.
I think if you use bad receivers which do not state that they are giving output as Dolby Digital they cannot provide stereo. Also when I press the sound button I can change from Stereo to Mono

How to evaluate the broadcasts?

In FM radio sets, a special lamp will light if the broadcast is in stereo. You are advised to switch to mono if the signal to noise ratio is low or the sound is bad. Unless the signal is sampled at the input stage, it is difficult to judge, just from the speakers, whether it is stereo or not. The amplifier can fudge the signal to give stereo effect.

And what is dvd quality and how to judge from the picture? Even with genuine dvds and players, the picture hangs, is jumpy and rainy. What is the user verifiable measure?

DVD quality is 720x520 Pixels. My FULL HD tv is 1920x1080 Pixels.
All the original DVDs i have played I nvr hang up and the quality is amazing. Pls note that not everything which is burnt on a DVD is going to be DVD quality. I can burn an MMS from my phone onto a DVD. But that does not make it DVD quality. Thats why Tata Sky is smart they say dvd like quality which could even mean a mms burnt on a DVD. But reliance big tv, Pehla (from middle east), Direct TV, Dish Tv (USA), and a most provideres outside INDIA provide actualy DVD quality because they are charging a high amount for it (minus RELAINCE BIG TV, its pretty cheap looking at the PCO offers). But DISHTV India and TS are very cheap like 4 dollars a month I cant see how they can afford the proper technology for DVD transmission.

Back