Sunil Mittal gives up on cheap broadband in India: We are giving up on Airtel Broadband coz of FUP

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 29,107

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Opportunity for cheap broadband lost: Mittal

Mittal has been critical of the recently concluded 3G and BWA auctions, calling the bids “unrealistic.” He has blamed the expensive bids on spectrum scarcity and faulty auction design. As a result, Mittal feels that the opportunity for providing cheaper broadband and usher in a revolution similar to voice is gone.

“There is no question. If India wants cheaper broadband, that opportunity has been bypassed. We will not have cheaper broadband,” Mittal said.

now he is sounding like Adobe.

he has a wireline broadband business (airtel broadband) with tons of customers. wireless is not the way to go to provide broadband around the country. wireless is fine for rural areas and far off locations. but most customers are likely to stay on wired broadband for years to come. if he is concerned about providing cheaper broadband in india, he should start with airtel broadband itself.

the recent airtel policies have been anti-consumer. very illogical.

My message to Mr. Sunil Mittal

For god sake... Look at what you have already. You have Airtel Broadband. One of the most recommended internet services in the country. I am not sure who is running it currently but he is definitely killing all the goodwill it has generated in the last couple of years. From the best service out there, it has become one of the most deceptive one. If you want us to have cheap broadband, you have Airtel Broadband where you can start. Forget 3G for a moment... It is too little too late for India. Forget BWA. It is the government which has benefited the most from their auctions. It is pretty clear that customers are not going to get what they have been waiting for. Instead give us what you can give us without the interference from the government. Expand the availability of wired broadband services. Get it to more cities and more areas in cities which are already covered. Throw away fair usage policy. Use those internet pipelines you own and which are reportedly being heavily underutilized. Open them up. Launch killer plans. Snatch away customers from rival services. Excel in customer service. Bring around the broadband revolution which we have all been waiting for. You are the person who has everything in place to do it. So please... stop ranting. Start doing something for us. We request.

very true ....thanks to bsnl and mtnl .. due to them broadband are not affordable .. other wise few year ago it was out of reach to common man ...there may be some issues and limitation with them .. but broadband plan @ 250 make it affordable

Pasting my comments from another thread:
https://broadband.forum/airtel-broadband/58370-airtel-broadband-double-broadband-speeds-june-2010-a/42/#post399969

Airtel is pissing all of us off. What I really wonder is that if the chief Sunil Mittal knows about the wireline broadband scenario, or is it the broadband CEO level strategy? Having read so much about him and his aggressive management skills, it doesnt seem like he even knows about this side of the business. Or else, we would be using the unutilised capacity maybe for all I know. The guy has earned a huge place in the world telecom space, with Airtel having been ranked as one of the top 10 IT adopted companies in the Forbes/Fortune lists. It uses the best tech available on the planet for GSM services and outsources the software side to the likes of IBM and servicing thru Alcatel. This 1mbps to double upgrade thing not happening is a total let down. My hunch now says that a large no. of existing customers with 1 Mbps are going to get the call sometime in July with maybe a carrot saying "if you can pay 100 rupees(or onwards) as top up, your speed goes double..." kind of thing. The new rates and the Fair Usage Policy is pathetic anyways, didn't expect this kind of behavior from Airtel.

broadband rates will 100% become slightly cheaper by end 2010 irrespective of what Sunil Mittal says ...

keep dreaming. reliance is not going to do a charity with BWA. they have paid several thousand crores for the spectrum and the acquisition of infotel. and they are not even going to cater to consumer segment from what we have heard. the onus to provide cheap broadband lies with BSNL and MTNL. MTNL has done their bit by offering 1mbps UL for 999 plus taxes. BSNL has failed to come-up with anything exciting. take my word. wireless broadband is not going to solve issues. it is not going to revolutionize broadband in india. broadband revolution would have to take place with wired connectivity. wireless is just not sustainable enough for a country like india. it might work in villages and far off places. but in congested areas, wireless is not going to work.

i get what you are saying .. and when i say broadband will become cheaper in the next 6 months .. i dont mean to say 1mbps will cost u 1000 rs .. it will become cheaper by 10% at most .. and that is realistic ..

10%? is that even relevant? does it even matter any more?

no it does not matter so much at all .. but in the next 2 - 3 years you will see rates slash a lot .. 5 years back who dreamt of 1mbps and 2mbps at these current rates .. in the nest 2 -3 years rates will fall further . how much i dont know .. all said and done reliance did change mobile rates in the country and they will change broadband rates also in the coming years ..

of course broadband is going to be cheaper. but it is not getting cheaper at the rate it should. most people are still stuck with 256kbps. upgrades from 128kbps to 512kbps or 1mbps is not a major shift. mobile rates dropped down from 16 rupees per minute to 1 paisa per second. broadband in comparison has barely moved in the recent years.

Back