SurfShark vs ProtonVPN

ISP
AS17665, Jio5G
I've been using SS for almost a month and ProtonVPN for 2 days. Here's some initial comparison

My setup : I use it on my laptop and two mobile devices (Kill switch ON, At home wifi or jio5g)

Servers : SS has more servers and Almost in all majority countries you'd want to use, But do note that a lot of these servers are "virtual" so they are physically outside that country so that won't have the routing as per that location.
Proton lacks behind in terms of number of servers and countries but as a general user I didn't really care much, but yes i did miss hong kong since SS hong kong server gave me best ping.

Speed : I am on 50mbps plan but my ISP provides a bit extra about 65mbps. SS gave me better speed almost every time compared to Proton. I can easily touch my 100% bandwidth.
I didn't find huge differences in torrenting while using p2p servers from proton it was as usual for me on any server.

Protocols : Both offer wireguard, openvpn (tcp/udp).

Layout : This is where things go wrong for Proton. SS displays you a list of countries and cities within (India - Mumbai, India - Delhi etc.) but proton will give you US-NY#260 like exact details of server which I guess is not needed and complicate things sometimes when trying to setup wireguard or openvpn manually you will have to create a server specific file and use instead of location specific.
So testing the best routed server for you can be a lengthy process, Thailand #5 gives me better ping everytime than #8 and I would have never know this until i tried every 8 servers located in thailand.

One good thing proton does is indicate server load. which can be a good thing but since all these servers at gig or 10gig and home users won't surpass even 200mbps at peak i don't think it is an issue.

Features : Both offer killswitch, SS offers Rotating IP and it works seamlessly. Proton won't change your IP until you reconnect. You do get portforwarding with proton, I don't play games and torrenting worked great with or without ports open so didn't get to notice any difference

Multihop : SS lets you combine any of their two server locations (Totally your choice) and use it, Proton has some fixed "Secure" locations and all Dual-Location setup will need to go through those (Switzerland, Iceland, Sweden), But since with SS you can select the fastest servers and still get great ping and speeds that just isn't the case with proton. Through secure core the ping is so high I had to wait so much just to open IBF, google, or basic sites.

Pricing : Proton is offering regional pricing that's why I got it on sharing basis with some mates Rs 270 per month. SS is USD 2.9 per month for 24 months

Devices : SS offers unlimited devices (Makes it dirt cheap to use on sharing basis), Proton offers 10 Devices limit.

Do drop any questions, I'll be happy to test or answer.

There have been multiple reports on the surfshark subreddit of people whose account was suspended for "too many" connections so the unlimited connections is heavily caveated as well. It's better for a VPN company to sell you a specific number of slots than have arbitrary rules they can enforce without any explanation.

Yeah ss does ban accounts, people are sharing it so much some accounts have more than 50 devices so you can judge by that :)

Back