Tata Sky Broadband: Static IPV6 - Unable to Configure

@panks21 it is /64

If you have more than one VLAN on firewall.. it wont work.. I am not sure but probably it might not even work with single LAN interface.. The only OS I could make a /64 work was VYOS running on Edgerouter and some other people reported success with OpenWRT

Unfortunately both Airtel and now TSBB has same problem. Perhaps they are just looking at the number of addresses which a /64 can generate instead of its usability.

If you are in touch with their technical team.. please make them read the following...
Section 4.2.3 of Best Current Operational Practice for Operators: IPv6 prefix assignment for end-users - persistent vs non-persistent, and what size to choose

and

Section 4.2 of
Source

I am talking to TSBB support for help. The v6 "address" they sent has only the 1st 4 quartets denoting IANA/Continent/Country/ISP quartets followed by a double colon which may refer to the last 4 quartets of the local link IPV6 or whatever. Not sure. Silly of me for not having spotted it last night! Don't want to play more guessing games so thought of getting on a call with them.

I have set a VLAN and Priority value to the WAN interface to match that in the Nokia ONT.

first four quartets means /64.. 16 bits multiplied by 4. The remaining will be created by your firewall. In some cases like Linux, the address will be derived from the MAC address of the machine. Theoretically you can have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses for your home network. That's looks insane..

At the same time, I am bit confused, I thought you have the ONT in bridge mode and running PFSense as your main router.. Is that not the case??

@panks21 that's right pfsense is doing the firewall/routing for the home network. These guys have only given the first 4 quartets and I need to cook up the other half, probably. Thing is I could assign a random network values into the last 4 quartets but it may clash with some other TSBB v6 user's config. That's the reason I want them to be specific and give me a complete unassigned IP.

That's not true.. It will never clash..
The last quartet is unique for you as this /64 is subnetted from a bigger /48 pool.
Lets say your /64 is 1234:5678:abcd:chip::/64
In this 'chip' quartet is unique for you and no other subscriber will get it...

The bigger /48 pool in this case is 1234:5678:abcd::/48

@panks21 thanks, hope the last quartet is unique. I am a noob to v6 and one of the reasons I got this IP and pfsense is to experiment and brush up my ancient networking fundas

@panks21 sure bro. I am furiously reading up on v6 fundas now. v4 and v6 operate on the same principles but this one is a bit different primarily because of the hexadecimal 128 bit long address which can cause confusion in a v6 noob. Also, pfSense is not all that straightforward in configuration so a 2 step process is required i.e. get familiar with v6 and then with v6 on pfSense. My Asus AC3200 router is pretty idiot proof that way.

Back