Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Blue Screen while changing Channels

• Thread starter Thread starter nrdos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,510

nrdos

ISP
MTNL
Hi, I recently tinkered successfully with my hard disk upgrade for TS+.Since the new disk is not the AV grade (more of a desktop performance disk), I would like to ask fellow TS+ users the following:1) When changing channels, is the transition instant or is there a blue screen pause between?I cannot remember how long it was before or whether it was even there in the first place, but I get a feeling that the blue screen pause is a tad longer now after the upgrade.Also, does anyone know:2) how to check the remaining hard disk space on the drive. I upgraded from 160 GB to 320 GB but can't tell how much space is available?Thank you

HD upgrade for TS+ :huh:

actually it is a good achievement but i am sure people here are more interested to know about copying the recorded stuff and viewing them on a PC! right guys???:dance::ashamed:@nrdos, i dont know if this would work but i guess its worth a try..do u remember how it always says n% disc in use after a program is recorded? u can try recording a 3 hr movie and then examining the % used and then revert back to the normal 160gig hdd and then do the same thing and check how much % is used...I dont know this might or might not work but just wanted to give a suggestion!:whistle::cool2:

Also, does anyone know:
2) how to check the remaining hard disk space on the drive. I upgraded from 160 GB to 320 GB but can't tell how much space is available?
Thank you
In the plan screen, there is a status bar on the top of the screen from where you can come to know how much the space is remaining.

Hi, I recently tinkered successfully with my hard disk upgrade for TS+.

Since the new disk is not the AV grade (more of a desktop performance disk), I would like to ask fellow TS+ users the following:

1) When changing channels, is the transition instant or is there a blue screen pause between?

I cannot remember how long it was before or whether it was even there in the first place, but I get a feeling that the blue screen pause is a tad longer now after the upgrade.

Also, does anyone know:
2) how to check the remaining hard disk space on the drive. I upgraded from 160 GB to 320 GB but can't tell how much space is available?
Thank you

You say that you have successfully upgraded your TS+ STB with the 320GB (SATA HDD for sure) & your STB works fine except for the minor glitch or what can rightly be called as a transitional delay, which is perfectly Ok as long as the firmware of the STB supports this big capacity HDD. Hey dude you have got a 320GB high capacity HDD as compared to the factory default 160GB one so why bother about the remaining disk capacity, you can just record upto 96hrs (for 320GB HDD with MPEG-4 format) of TV programme if my calculations & assumption is not wrong. So just enjoy & Jingalala :dance:

The Blue Screen that you mention is the transitional delay taken by the STB to tune to the next or previous channel. For eg. when we power ON the TS+ STB after initializing it goes to channel no. 100 by default. Not if we press CH+ button (CH up) the audio & video signals that are being watched of CH # 100 after being buffered from the HDD's 80GB partition are cleared (erased) & STB tunes to next channel say CH#102 & its AV contents are buffered into HDD & we start seeing the channel on our TV screen. All this instructions are processed in a second or two depending on the HDD capacity, availability of free space & also on the degree of file fragmentation. So obviously no video signal during this transition results in this blue screen during channel changing. For a new TS+ STB this transition time is about 0.5 sec to 0.75 seconds while if one channel is being recorded & we switch to another channel this time may vary from 1 sec to 2.5 sec. For an old (or 20% free space on 160GB HDD) STB this may vary from 1.5 sec to 3.5 sec which can also be the condition if the STB's HDD is upgraded to a higher capacity one. Basically its a hardware delay & depends on the performance & duty factor (HDD's MTBF) of the STB so relax its a common phenomenon.

Back