Tata Sky HD DTH: Got HD!!

• Thread starter Thread starter manig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5,618

manig

ISP
BSNL
I finally got my Tata Sky HD Digicomp after 4 months I tried getting one. I live in Jalandhar, placed the order on phone with them and got it delivered at my mate in Gurgaon. I want to ask why can't we get ColorsHD, ZeeHD, MoviesNowHD on TataSky? I was just checking SkyUK site and they offer 45+ HD channels in the UK. In India we have just 3. Is it possible to have atleast 20+ HD channels this year on TataSky?

Any differences compared to the old digicomp? Or were they REALLY out of stock for all these months?

I want to ask why can't we get ColorsHD, ZeeHD, MoviesNowHD on Tata Sky? I was just checking SkyUK site and they offer 45+ HD channels in the UK. In India we have just 3.

Is it possible to have atleast 20+ HD channels this year on TataSky?

Firstly ZeeHD/Colors HD/Star Plus HD are not HD channels but the same SD channels being upscaled and distorted with false DD5.1 sound being transmitted by all the HD DTH providers.

Next channels come to your TV via different transponders on different satellites...TS has only 13 of them on one satellite....largest among all the DTH companies ...but TS does not compromise on quality(may be a little) and tries to give you more uncompressed pictures than the rest. but rest give MPEG4 where as TS and Dish give MPEG2. ...Now HD needs MPEG 4 annd there can be Max 4 HD channels per TP...whenever there is a 5th one they downgrade the audio to DD 2.1 instead........Now as you are comparing this service to UK...UK people pay more than 80 Pounds per month to watch TV..Do you think anyone here will shell out that much money in the first place....secondly the UK broadcasters have their own satellites, which is not allowed in India...SO each broadcasters in US/UK has 5 satellites up in the air and have at least 50 TPs in place....now compare that to Indian Scenario...

Very Frustrating Indeed.!!

Forget about SkyUK. Go and see DirecTV's website. The last time I saw it had 160+HD channels (many in Full HD 1080p) and a few 3D FullHD 1080p channels too (Like ESPN 3D).

India just has 4-5 HD channels that too are not up to the mark.. Just 1080i resolution :/
What's the use of HDTV's then? :madness:

...but TS does not compromise on quality(may be a little) and tries to give you more uncompressed pictures than the rest. but rest give MPEG4 where as TS and Dish give MPEG2. ...

Please note that MPEG2 is an old compression format compared to MPEG4. MPEG4 gives better picture quality and better compression ratios compared to MPEG2. Please do not say that MPEG2 is having better quality than MPEG4

mpeg4 is a better compression technology but its not so good that it can give the same pic quality of 12 TPs of Ts to 6 TPs of Airtel /D2H/Big etc. Please try to understand that Dish uses much compressed pictures than TS (at visible loss of quality) and even if the rest use MPEG4 they lose the edge with lack of TPs....only if they had the same bandwidth and the same no. of channels over that bandwidth would they have been providin better pic quality with MPEG4.

since i warned, shouted at them that i will move to airtel or sundirect, they hav taken up this issue as a very rare and exceptional case and arranging me the HD stb from B'lore where it was re-launched this week... So i have a feeling that they might giv away the old stb (which they eventually stopped) as the latest one, as they dont want to lose a customer and its goin to take some more time for the box to be launched in Chennai... @manig so friend pls tell whats the difference you noticed bet. this new box you got and the older one and also the appearance... if possible pls post the pictures of your box...thanks in advance...

Both the boxes are the same no difference in appearance or remote, guess its just fresh stocks ordered from the same supplier.

I too got HD yesterday in Bangalore...but when i called them for free subscription for 2 months of HD Gold Pack (I was earlier using SD Tata Sky)..but now they are saying no more that offer...at least they should have given 2 months to experience HD to customer ..

Back