The Athiesm/Skeptic/Freethought/Reason/Rationality Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter saarth
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 25,078
I assume he was referring to 2010-2011 GDP.
And did you read the article? It didn't blame Modi for anything, it just said that he's no better or special than most other CMs.

saarth said:
Till now i thought Modi was like Hitler, killed a lot of people of a religion he didn't like but atleast did well for his nation/state.
Seems i was wrong.
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/the-real-truth/entry/5-modi-lies-that-must-be-nailed
For a self-proclaimed rationalist, it is surprising that you fell for this crap.
India’s growth in the last 6-7 years has been exemplary by any standard, with GDP growth hitting 9.2% just last year.
GDP growth in 2012-13 was 5% as per the latest economic survey. The average GDP growth during the XI plan period was less than 8%. Heck, even the XIIth Plan document projects an average growth of 8.2% if better investment framework is created.
The top 5 states in terms of state GDP are Maharashtra, UP, AP, TN and Gujarat in that order.
This is as good as saying that India is an economic powerhouse because it ranks 10th in the world by nominal GDP. Real growth is judged by GDP (nominal) per capita and India ranks 141st. Even in GDP (PPP) per capita we rank 126th. Our nominal GDP is high simply because of our population. The same is true for a state like Uttar Pradesh.

Any chance for theisists, leave everything to god, do you duty. ;)

rodeoz said:
For a self-proclaimed rationalist, it is surprising that you fell for this crap.

GDP growth in 2012-13 was 5% as per the latest economic survey. The average GDP growth during the XI plan period was less than 8%. Heck, even the XIIth Plan document projects an average growth of 8.2% if better investment framework is created.

This is as good as saying that India is an economic powerhouse because it ranks 10th in the world by nominal GDP. Real growth is judged by GDP (nominal) per capita and India ranks 141st. Even in GDP (PPP) per capita we rank 126th. Our nominal GDP is high simply because of our population. The same is true for a state like Uttar Pradesh.
Yes, the author has made mistakes, but so has modi. If modi said that our GDP has lost momentum in the last 6-7 years, he is wrong as well because 3 years ago we had a 9.2% increase, and has hit 9% mark twice in last 6 years.

India is still considered an economically powerful nation despite low per capita GDP, and i'd prefer high per capita GDP because that's more relevant to the common people.
I've realised the article is mediocre, and i took liking for it because of my own bias against Modi, and i still think he's no better than any other politician. Also i'm not very knowledgeable about economics, but the article looked tempting.

Back