• Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 2,860

hifijay

Regular
ISP
bsnl
TRAI seeks prosecution of ESPN on pricing for DTH operators

6 Aug, 2008, 0053 hrs IST

NEW DELHI: Indian cable and satellite customers may not be able to watch the upcoming Champions’ Trophy, the English and Spanish domestic football leagues and the US Open ([COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Tennis[/COLOR][/COLOR]) on ESPN channels, if TRAI has its way.

Telecom and broadcast watchdog TRAI on Tuesday decided to haul ESPN to the courts and seek prosecution of sports broadcaster for failing to adhere to its directive on pricing for DTH operators. The regulator has also written to the information & broadcasting ministry for revoking the registration of its three channels. If the I&B ministry accepts TRAI’s recommendation, ESPN cannot beam its channels, which also includes Star Sports and Star [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Cricket[/COLOR][/COLOR], in India.

Last month, TRAI had warned ESPN and even issued a showcause notice against the company. The regulator has asked asked ESPN as to why a complaint should not be filed before the court as the broadcaster had failed to adhere to TRAI regulations. TRAI has said that it had decided to take stringent steps against ESPN as the broadcaster in its reply had failed to ‘give satisfactory answers’.

When contacted on the development, TRAI chairman Nripendra Misra confirmed the development and told ET: “We had issued a showcase notice to sports broadcaster ESPN. After receiving their reply we found them in absolute violation on our directive on pricing of its channels for the DTH players. We have decided to prosecute them in the court over this.

In addition we have written to the I&B ministry to cancel the registration of the channels.” When contacted ESPN Software India managing director RC Venkatiesh said the company has not received any official communication from TRAI.

The issue is as follows: TRAI, which has capped the cable TV rates in all non-CAS areas across the country, had directed broadcasters that they can charge a maximum of a 50% premium on these rates when they offer their channels to DTH players. ESPN, however, did not agree to the rates prescribed by TRAI, which resulted in Tata Sky dropping its channels form its basic bouquet. Tata Sky then asked its customers to pay extra to avail them.

TRAI seeks prosecution of ESPN on pricing for DTH operators- Media-Media / Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Oh, this wud now allow Tata Sky to claim that their move was right.

Now TS will say it was right. Most of the people including me started shouting at TS for removing ESS from their basic bouquet, and ESS used DISHTV as a platform and launched Media blitz against TS. Now we hear TRAI issuing a showcause against ESS, consumer will not know who is right and who is wrong. Ultimately we will see that DTH companies and ESS will have out of court settlement, and we consumers will be the losers.

I am again Saying.. Tata Sky did a right thing by making ESPN STAR an addon pack. But for that amount they should reduce the base pack as well... coming back to the topic, ESPN STAR can charge for their bouquet upto Rs.22 for DTH. But they are charging more, so TRAI is issuing notice to ESPN and thats the right thing to do.

Asdfgf, right on the money..No body has a problem paying Rs.40 or Rs.22, If Tata Sky reduces the base pack price by that amount.. Anyways, if the prices reduce, we are going to be benefited..Hopefully TRAI comes out with the DTH pricing for all channels on bouquet basis and a-le-carte basis and makes them available to the customers, at least then we will understand who is charging more,TS or The broadcasters...I hope something happens by end of august..Offtopic: General Question:If i opt for the annual pack now, will i get all ESS channels for free for that period?or i'll have to anyways pay Rs.40 Extra from 1st October 2008...??I left a query on my tatasky section, but have not received a call yet.. Please reply if u r sure about this.. also leave a query on tatasky, i hope u receive a call. Ask them about the survey too :)

No if u get subscribed 4 one year. U hv to pay 4 ESS After 30 sept. I also query 4 the same few days ago

Asdfgf, right on the money..
No body has a problem paying Rs.40 or Rs.22, If Tata Sky reduces the base pack price by that amount.. Anyways, if the prices reduce, we are going to be benefited..

Hopefully TRAI comes out with the DTH pricing for all channels on bouquet basis and a-le-carte basis and makes them available to the customers, at least then we will understand who is charging more,TS or The broadcasters...

I hope something happens by end of august..

Offtopic: General Question:
If i opt for the annual pack now, will i get all ESS channels for free for that period?
or i'll have to anyways pay Rs.40 Extra from 1st October 2008...??

I left a query on my tatasky section, but have not received a call yet.. Please reply if u r sure about this.. also leave a query on tatasky, i hope u receive a call. Ask them about the survey too :)

Who ever wins the case whether it is DTH operator or the ESS either one of them will benefit if there is out of court settle ment both of them will benefit and in the end the customers will be looseer.........:rofl:

Trai files case against ESPN over DTH pricing
6 August 2008

NEW DELHI: The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India has filed a case against ESPN Software India for non-compliance of its direction on pricing offer for direct-to-home (DTH) operators.

The sector regulator has filed the case before the CJM court.

According to the Trai directive, pay broadcasters have to offer their channels or bouquets to DTH operators at half the price charged in the non Cas (conditional access system) cable networks.

Earlier, Trai had written to the Information and Broadcasting ministry for revoking ESPN's downlinking licence.

Trai had issued a show cause notice to ESPN last month threatening legal action.

When contacted, ESPN Software India MD R C Venkateish said: “We have given our detailed response to Trai, explaining our position. We have not heard back from them. Additionally, issues which are relevant in this matter are pending for consideration in the Tdsat which we have explained to Trai. We will take further recourse to appropriate remedies if and when the need arises."

ESPN Software India runs three channels - ESPN, Star Sports and Star Cricket.

Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge > Trai files case against ESPN over DTH pricing

Back