Type of Partition !

• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh159
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 4,347

saurabh159

ISP
Airtel
Hi,I had bought a new laptop with linux installed on it. I had removed the linus and successfully installed XP SP2 on it. The hard disk capacity is 160 GB.Now I want to make 4-5 partitions of my hard disk but I am very confused what kind of partition should i make.I am using Paragon Partition Manager, It asks for primary, expended or logical types.:wall:Help me out !!!

if you are going to install any other os in your lappy, it would need a primary partition, if you are making partitions only to stores your files, then you need to make an extended partititon(this is when you need more than 4 partitions) to contain logical partitions.if you need only 4 partitions, just make all primary:)

if you are going to install any other os in your lappy, it would need a primary partition,

doh, no need for linux

if you need only 4 partitions, just make all primary

sounds good, but probably should leave first partition as primary, then create an extended partition for the rest of the drive.

inside this extended partition you can create/move/resize logical partitions as and when you need it for data storage/linux installs :)

Hi All,Thanks for replying and giving me solution.I am still confused, so now please advise me on the following.I want to have 5 partitions. one for OS(XP) and others for data only, like one for Softwares, music, backup, etc.Now please tell me how to go for it.I dotn know but I am always confused about this hard disk jargons !!!Hey rmuru, i know nothing about linux !!! No question of hating it.....:)

generally speaking

I wud do a double install of OSs, in case u screw up ur main windoze os or it gradually gets screwed overtime and refuses to work, u can then boot in to 2nd OS, recovr ur data and reinstall windows c:/, thats how I usually would do.

Primary C:/50 GB (OS1)
Primary D:/10 GB (Backup OS2)
--extended---
Logical E:/ Download drive
Logical F:/ Songs
Logical G:/ Vids
Logical H:/ Data/pr0n

QQ if C:/ would be at outer edge of disk platters, hmm so I guess it makes sense to have main windows and swap ideally at 1st partition.. right?

Hi pita,I will do according to your suggestion. What I do earlier is that, I keep OS only in its drive, No data, so in case something goes wrong, I format it and again re-install the OS. Is it better ?One more thing, you had written to create extended partition, then creating logical partitions in it. This is what you mean na ?I mean first I will create extended partition and then logical partitions in it. Am i correct ?Sorry for bothering so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!

on windows, i hate having more than one partition. one for windows and one for data. i have had messy hard drives with too many partitions. it becomes a mess if one of your folder becomes too big for the partition...

I have two 160 GB sata hdds. I was planning to have 2 partitions on each hdd so 4 partitions in total. However when trying to setup an extended partition , vista warned me that the extended partition ( or logical partition , i'm not sure ) once created cannot be deleted. I think this had something to do with the fact that my extended partition was the same as logical partition. So i decided against taking any risk and currently have 4 primary partitions. I'd appreciate if somebody can shed more light on this issue.

Back