UN:3 stikes laws on p2p violate human rights!

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 4,799
W

warthog

http://torrentfreak.com/un-disconnecting-file-sharers-breaches-human-rights-110603/

According to a report set to be adopted today by the UN’s Human Rights Council, anti-filesharing provisions such as those outlined in the UK’s Digital Economy Act are disproportionate and should be repealed. The provisions, which include disconnecting Internet users for violating the rights of the music and movie industries, breach human rights, the report concludes.

According to a UN report published in May and set to be adopted today, tough provisions in the UK’s Digital Economy Act and France’s ‘Hadopi’ legislation breach human rights.

The Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression details concern for measures being put in place by various governments to punish online copyright infringement. In many cases those measures include the draconian step of denying citizens’ Internet access.

MAFIAA response
http://torrentfreak.com/recording-industry-steps-back-from-piracy-disconnections-110606/

SO atleast in India the govt wont be able to force 3 strikes law!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56634085/Report-of-the-Special-Rapporteur-on-the-promotion-and-protection-of-the-right-to-freedom-of-opinion-and-expression-Frank-La-Rue

I'd like to see the same law repealed in NZ. It was passed under the auspices of the Christchurch earthquake emergency, for pete's sake!! What does P2P and an earthquake have to do with each other? How stupid.I've already been petitioning my government for the same (luckily I have a good relationship with my local members of parliament).Also warthog: you should probably add "Deinde cum passim Youtube." (Then I broadcast it with Youtube) to the end of your sig ;)

OT: mgcalry plz dont be angry with me.I will personally add hayai info at wiki when you start your first connection.anyways WTF they already passed 3 stikes in kiwis!!!.DAMN what about aussie land?

I've already been petitioning my government for the same (luckily I have a good relationship with my local members of parliament).

I envy that you can say that, our members of parliament are like mythical gods who might as well be living in Valhalla, far far out of the reach of us ordinary mortals.

OT: mgcalry plz dont be angry with me.I will personally add hayai info at wiki when you start your first connection.

anyways WTF they already passed 3 stikes in kiwis!!!.

DAMN what about aussie land?

Why would I be anfy (I assume angry) with you?

And yeah, they already passed it, but there's a lot of pressure from pretty much every techie in NZ (and all ISPs) to repeal it. In addition, it's use would violate a previously existing law, so if ISPs did identify subscribers then they'd be screwed... but if ISPs didn't identify subscribers... they'd still be screwed. Catch-22.

Aussie I'm not sure what's happening yet... they're trying to put such a law in place, but as of now I don't think it's happened.

I envy that you can say that, our members of parliament are like mythical gods who might as well be living in Valhalla, far far out of the reach of us ordinary mortals.

Mythical gods they may be to most people, but for the privileged few who can weasel some face-time in they're just the same as you. Maybe they're dressed better (in most of his latest posters around Mumbai, Raj Thackeray is wearing a Salvatore Ferragamo polo shirt, and they don't come cheap - Rs16,000 last I checked).

But, like the rest of society, some of them are nice people once you get to know them and others are cut-throat pricks.

Raj Thackeray? Never heard of him, is he a member of parliament?

Raj Thackeray? Never heard of him, is he a member of parliament?

You're kidding. Maharashtra Navnirman Sena? Nephew of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray? Cousin of Uddhav Thackeray?

BTW, I don't associate with him or agree with his political views/actions or methods (but I doubt I should publicly express what I think of him because of who we mutually know).

mgcarly no offense but i think you have a disease to derail my threads:at-wits-end:

I mean shiv sena stuff.Bal Thackeray admires hitler ok.now back to p2p discussion

Back