Unable to get 3G speeds on Trump Prepaid

indianarchie

Regular
ISP
MTNL Xpress Non-combo 650 Unltd.
I am on MTNL Trump Prepaid (jeevansathi+1 paise per second plan) in Bombay and have a couple of specific queries:I have a Nokia N8 and I have activated 3G by sending ACT 3G (or whatever the exact message was, I dont recall it now.) to 444. The sim card is the one I used before activating 3G. Does one need a 3G sim card to access 3g speeds and services? The Network mode is "dual mode" and the Access point settings are:Access Point name: gprsppsmumUser name: mtnlPassword default 4 character password) Data bearer: Packet dataAuthentication: normalThe problem is that I have never got 3G speeds on this connection. I do get gprs speeds though. What could the problem be - is it that I need to get a 3G sim card or that the settings are incorrect?I also have a second access point with:Access point name: pps3gusername: mtnlpassword (default 4 char password)Authentication: secureHomepage: noneConnections using this access point have never worked. Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong? Basically, I want to access 3G speeds and services and am unable to do so with the current settings and sim card.

Probably HSDPA is not activated. Have a look at the link mentioned by IndianMascot for more information on HSDPA activation.And remove the username and password, leave those two fields blank. I don't think they are required.

I don't think his issue is HSDPA related. He is not getting above GPRS speeds , so issue is that 3G is not enabled on your SIM.

Thanks, I will try all the suggestions and update. One question I still have is, do I need a 3g sim card or will the existing one do? I have the existing sim card since 2-4 years. @IndianMascot: I am also going through the thread you mentioned and its quite long. If I want the 4500 plan on my phone, I only need to do a normal online recharge by selecting that option, is that correct? Also, since my phone supports up to 10.2mbps ("HSDPA Cat9, maximum speed up to 10.2 Mbps, HSUPA Cat5 2.0 Mbps") what speed can I expect on that plan?

1. No Separate Sim Required. Your present Sim is quite capable .2. Rs 4500 is the exact amount to be recharged. you can either recharge online or by visiting any of the nearest MTNL CSCs. On MTNL Website you will find 4500 under plan changing category with a balance of Rs 0.977777773. N8 supports 10.2 Mbps but MTNL 3G Jadoo is offering 3G speed of 3.6 Mbps. So Maximum will be 3.6 Mbps but most of the time it plays between 2.2 Mbps to 2.5 Mbps.I hope you would have gt the answers. :)

Thanks a lot. I currently have the 1 paise per second plan. If I recharge with the 4500 plan, will the plan (and talktime/sms charges) change? I am unable to find the talktime/SMS charges for the 4500 plan. Also, I am currently in Pune for a while. If I recharge with 4500 online, will I be charged roaming data tariff (its 1ps/10kb I guess) or is it free roaming for data?

You will get only Unlimited Internet Free which is excluding SMS. SMS will be charged as per your Tariff Plan.

Mobile Recharge

No Additional Roaming Charges ...

Back