Upgraded Act Fibernet Plans in Chennai

• Thread starter Thread starter balajik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 7,310
It's 3TB - I just put in my request for upgrade. The CS team were unclear whether this is launched for residential (they were sure it was for enterprise/SMB only) but after I pointed out the plans, they checked and have created a ticket now.

I'll update whatever that happens next. Ideally, I want a dedicated fiber pair into my place instead of ethernet like now, and I want to disconnect the shared box power.

Usually residential users will always get higher amount of data. ACT offering 4TB to enterprise and 3TB to residential users for the same price is surprising.

^ Then maybe can take an SME connection at a residential place if its priced the same. At least it should have better contention ratio and SLA.

I've tried before, they want your registered company details at the location if you need to apply SME connection.

They've removed the 'silver' SME plan that offered 4000GB, now there's a different plan with 3000GB same as residential. Also, installation charges for existing customers is 2k - I tried to get this removed but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Multiple tickets opened, and they're double checking to see what kind of PC/laptop we have and that no router will be supplied by them.

Next is apparently feasibility, let's see what happens.

Yea, GPON providers don't usually supply any router. Same with my ISP as well. Is there any refundable amount in that 2k? otherwise that seems very high just for installation.

They quoted me 5k for giga installation a few months ago. Non refundable. Although i think now they've revised it to 2.5k for existing connections.

Shouldn't they be providing an ONT if the optical fibre terminates in the house? I assumed that's what the installation charges are for.

The 2k is for installation/ONT for existing customer as I'm told and non-refundable; ultimately you'll end up with ethernet but the fiber terminates inside the house rather than outside in a shared box.

What's the advantage of having a separate ONT? Better speeds than a shared one? If so I'm assuming there is a bandwidth limit for each fibre connection? I ask because the distance to my nearest ONT is barely 10 meters and ethernet cables seem to be capable of handling 1/10 Gbps depending upon the spec.

^ Yep, but you are mostly connected to a shared switch I believe, and if you have noisy neighbours your throughput can go down.
In a normal shared ethernet connection, their uplink is probably at 1 Gbps as most ONTs just have a 1 Gbps port, and I am sure they'd over provision that switch more than the available capacity. I haven't seen what type of devices they use for these shared installations, but it would probably be some relatively cheaper grade devices.

I guess in those cases it does help, atleast you are guaranteed the 1 Gbps till their OLT device.

Reactions: Jay

Back